power for edis...and other edis questions

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jakeb
MS/Extra Newbie

power for edis...and other edis questions

Post by jakeb »

A couple questions about the edis side of things as I get my install going.

I am using a relay board with megasquirt 2.2 main board. This is going on a 1970 BMW 2002...so carbed at one time.

I am wondering where I should pull power for the edis coil pack and module. Would it be possible to pull this from the relay board? I was thinking I could run a wire on the output of the fuel pump relay to another fuse for the edis. My main concern with this is will it be to much draw on the main relay?

What are other options to get power for the edis?

Also when I was taking all the tape off the edis wiring I found that there is a light colored tape covering some black goo on the center wire of the coil pack wiring... Any idea what this is...under the goo?

next...when wiring the coil back and the supressor...is the supressor in a way "T"ed off the power wire?

Finally...what is the best way to pull a signal for my dash tach? The tach was normally connected to the negative side of a single coil...

Should I use this? Do these connect to wire 1 and 3 on the coil pack?

thanks...just understanding this all

Jake
motown menace
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by motown menace »

I wired my EDIS directly to the battery with an inline fuse. I just ran a wire to the positive terminal on my cars original fuse block. I also was concerned with running too many things off of existing relays.

The black goo under the tape is most likely some kind of non-conducting meduim. The center wire is the +12 V wire so it's probally to help prevent arcing to the outer two wires.

Yes, the supressor is t-ed off the power wire. It allows certian "frequences" to ground out and allows the good "frequences" to continue onto the coil pack.

On the EDIS main connector (the 12 pin that connects to the module) pin 2 is a tach output signal. I'm not sure if it's a negative ground type driver. I do know it works with many aftermarket and stock tachs. I would wire the tach to pin 2 first. Worst case is it dosen't work and you have to devise another way.
kool
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kool »

I used the power from the O2 sensor heater as I'm using a Techedge wideband which has it's own wiring. Replace the 5A fuse with the correct one for your EDIS.

Just got the car started and idling yesterday. :)