EDis wheel off centred ... and possible solution?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TTC
Helpful MS/Extra'er

EDis wheel off centred ... and possible solution?

Post by TTC »

The fabricator pwned me. The edis wheel isnt centred, at the closest spot its 1mm but then the gap grows to 4mm. This doesnt seem like it will work well . Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking of taking it to the machinest to trim down the teeth that are to close and evcen the distance. This would change the width of the teeth and the spaces in between. Would that be ok? This is for a boosted app so it could be bad if timing gets buggered.

MS1 v3 edis.
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

This situation is not okay. Do not trim the teeth. Your big problem now is a balance situation at speed that could literally become dangerous for you and your vehicle whether trimmed or not. I would say the wheel needs to be properly centered as a safety concern and it would then sense properly as well. Sorry. :( Bright side is that a pattern drilled in a typical wheel is a $20 or 'pizza & beer' level job at a local machinist and wouldn't take any longer than trimming. Good luck!
Jack
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Jack »

Ditto on the balance issue. This can be critical.

If you have access to a welder, the existing hole can be filled and redrilled or cut oversize and a plate or washer welded in to create a new center alignment hole. Do whatever you need to do, but crank components are balanced and being 1-4mm out will cause an imbalance that could cause an expensive failure.

jack
Good judgment comes from experience.
And where does experience come from?
Experience comes from bad judgment.
. . . . . . . Mark Twain
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

runner4404spd wrote:in this particular situation, balance will not be affected much by your wheel....
Actually the balance of the whole reciprocating assembly was not my concern, but rather the imbalance of an unknown weight object, off center, spinning at 5k, 6k, 8k rpms (?) held on by unknown means but perhaps substandard as the centering is and... whoo. There's an EDIS wheel on my bench that weighs well over two pounds and the thought of that flying off the crank and buzz-sawing about the coolant and fuel lines and other critical or expensive stuff at several thousand rpm's while moving along at ???mph is thought provoking... :shock:
motown menace
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by motown menace »

Chop, cut, rebuild. Did he weld it on or is it drilled in the sorta-center and slid over the crankshaft? That sucks, time for a new fabricator.