MS1 Pwm Idle does not work.

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by superchargingmachine »

Challengr,

I have never touched the frequency since I first started using the valve. 200 did not work for me it only made the cycling go faster. 50 really seemed to slow down the response of the valve and give it more time to stabilize.

Now I am using 100 RPM for fast response and 20 RPM for slow with a fast time of 10 and a slow time of 30 with a dead band of 30.

So far it is very stable. It will be cool again tomorrow morning and I will see if it continues to work well.

Thanks!!!!
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Ok so what the secret?? I keep winding up with large numbers for fast and slow recovery to I get a stable idle BUT then when I turn on the lights on or the fan kicks in PWMidle can't respond fast enough.

Do I need to stretch the RPM range of fast and slow recovery so it has less slope? I'm looking for anything here. My car seems extremely sensitive to AFR and timing at idle, which maes PWM tuning difficult.
fred_bx16s
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fred_bx16s »

hello

it s ok my pwm work but i not close if my engine hot 70 °

in my stim pwm led is down ok but in my car vanne no close en my idle rpm is 2000 is more good
i think my minimu dc is no good

thank for your help

++
fred
Challengr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Challengr »

superchargingmachine,

Maybe now that you have a stable idle, you should try setting frequency to 200 again. When you do, remember to increase your dashpot and cranking PWM values proportionately. This might give you the fast response you need for sudden loads like fans and lights.

With my settings, idle recovers instantly when I go from neutral to drive (automatic trans).

Jeff
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

I got stuck in the dashpot loop again today. My experience is that I get a stable idle but it doesn't stay stable.

I adusted the TPS setpoint in the dashpot settings and that seemed to get me out of the dashpot loop.

If I can keep from getting stuck in the dashport loop for a while then I can concentrate on a nice stable idle. I will try increasing the frequency again if I can get away from these dahpot problems
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Ok - How does Dashpot get it's starting TPS ADC? It seems it grabs a value during cranking. So if you touch the gas at all on startup you can get an erroneous TPS ADC number sending you into dashpot hell. It seems like now that I have increased my startup time and cranking dc for the valve that if I don't touch the gas on startup all is well.

I will update this tomorrow.

Challengr,

No matter what setting I use I can't get 200 freq to work. I can it seems get 50 or 100 to work.
Masi_K
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Masi_K »

I FOUND what is the biggest problem with my setting. IdleDC 90 presents about 1700rpm, 89 1200 and 88 closed.. I tried frequency 90 and 110 those doesn't work any better. 90 rises engine speed up to 3200 at 89dc. 110 Does opposite effect. What can I do?? All my present settings are found earlier in this post.
Volvo 244 gle, b19e msns. R.I.P.
Vauxhall Viva, Msns. "Finally working"
Volvo 945 Turbo -97, Ms II. "There can't be more resistant install than this"
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

How can such a small range have such a huge effect on RPM?

What valve are you using and on what size engine?

My valve is a 2 wire Ford from a 3.0V6 and I am using it on a 1.6L. On my car 900RPM = 10-13dc 2000RPM = 28-30dc.
fred_bx16s
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fred_bx16s »

hello

i m very happy my pwm is ok
model pwm idle audi 80 parts number bosch 0 280 140 513 ( = 0 280 140 512 )
i use ms1 v3, code 29s
my car is citroen bx 1905 cm3 16 valves engine xu9j4 ( d6c )
my setting ( with tip 121 )

thanks
fred_bx16s
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fred_bx16s »

hello

i tested this morning and my engine no start cold but started action in accelerator and engine idle is ok with hot engine

setting is no correct but i working

thanks

++
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

I would look at your warmup enrichment values first before looking at PWMidle settings.

I did notice a problem in your settings in your previous post. Your closed dc is greater than either your minimum or your cranking. I don't think this will work. Closed should be your smallest value, minimum should be somewhere below where the car idles, cranking should be just above the max engine speed where PWMidle is active.
fred_bx16s
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fred_bx16s »

hello

yes my setting is very bad my rpm engine jump to 4500 rpm and down 1200 but no speed

lol

i disconnect pwm valve and i settings news values

thanks

sorry for my english ( i m french lol )
Masi_K
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Masi_K »

superchargingmachine wrote:How can such a small range have such a huge effect on RPM?

My valve is a 2 wire Ford from a 3.0V6 and I am using it on a 1.6L. On my car 900RPM = 10-13dc 2000RPM = 28-30dc.
I hoped that I could found an answer to same question from here... :D
Valve (bosch number 0280140516) is from 2.0 litre Alfa Romeo. It contains 19mm hose connectors. Valve is allso used 3.0litre v6 alfa.
Image It is normal rotating type. With no electric, valve is slightly open. Small pwm it is closed and so on.
Masi_K
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Masi_K »

Masi_K wrote:
superchargingmachine wrote:How can such a small range have such a huge effect on RPM?

I hoped that I could found an answer to same question from here... :D
Valve (bosch number 0280140516) is from 2.0 litre Alfa Romeo. It contains 19mm hose connectors. Valve is allso used 3.0litre v6 alfa.
Image It is normal rotating type. With zero pwm, valve is slightly open. Small pwm it is closed and so on.
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

Fred,

Please set your closeDC to 25 and your minDC to 35 and see if that helps.

The valve you are using is closed at 25% PWM duty Cycle. Idle regulation should happen at about 40% and cranking should be 50-60%, at least that is how it works on mine. The closeDC is the DC at which the valve passes no air (or as close to no air as possible) MinDC is a DC value which is slightly below the value at which the idle is regulated at the warm idle set point. In a stock installation on a Saab, this particular valve regulates at about 40% and is open significantly greater as IAT increases.

KeithG
fred_bx16s
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fred_bx16s »

super

thanks

for this settings i testing and i post result

thanks
fred_bx16s
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fred_bx16s »

hello

i tetsting setting posted and it s good for started engine cool but no start engine hot and idle engine is no good if hot

i search setting

thanks
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

What is it doing hot? Is the RPM going up and down?
fred_bx16s
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fred_bx16s »

hello
sorry

setting posteed is ok for started engine cool and rpm is ok no up and down

but setting is no good for hot engine ( rpm is ok no up and down )

thanks
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

MS1 Pwm Idle does not work.

Post by Keithg »

fred, please screen capture your 2 pages of pwmidle settings. If not, please post your current msq. Maybe we can help.

KeithG

Posted by email.