New wheel decoder trigger?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

New wheel decoder trigger?

Post by Jon k »

That's how my crank wheel is ACTUALLY positioned @ TDC. Does this change wheel decoder numbers or angles? What would they be?
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New wheel decoder trigger?

Post by Peter Florance »

Jon k wrote:Image

That's how my crank wheel is ACTUALLY positioned @ TDC. Does this change wheel decoder numbers or angles? What would they be?
Ok, so it looks like TDC is tooth 15 or so. So 60 degrees BTDC would be 10 teeth less (6 degrees per tooth) or tooth 5. I think that's what I'm using. 5 and 13 for trigger A.

How about that? :o

Try 5,13 25,33 45,53 with trigger angle of 58 degrees (not exactly 60 but you're not exactly on a tooth either) . I bet you will be real close.

I'm glad you brought this up; I need to start an M52 motor this week and didn't want to drive all the way out there to count teeth. 8)
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New wheel decoder trigger?

Post by Jon k »

Peter Florance wrote:
Jon k wrote:Image

Ok, so it looks like TDC is tooth 15 or so. So 60 degrees BTDC would be 10 teeth less (6 degrees per tooth) or tooth 5. I think that's what I'm using. 5 and 13 for trigger A.

How about that? :o

Try 5,13 25,33 45,53 with trigger angle of 58 degrees (not exactly 60 but you're not exactly on a tooth either) . I bet you will be real close.

I'm glad you brought this up; I need to start an M52 motor this week and didn't want to drive all the way out there to count teeth. 8)

Thanks much peter - i'll be trying those figures tomorrow! Peter, be careful with the M52 - the original pic I was using (im sure you saw, where the missing teeth were to the left of the CPS) was actually from an M50TU (vanos) motor - I am not sure what the M52 is going to look like! Let us know!