Floating Timing

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

morris
MS/Extra Newbie

Floating Timing

Post by morris »

I got spark up and running on my MSnS Extra install this weekend. But I am having frustrating timing issues.

At idle with the advance set at 10 (fixed angle) the advance floats roughly 2 degrees in either direction according to my timing light. My idle is rough and my MAP is very twitchy. The MAP is twitchy through out the driving range.

I am triggering from a Lumenition box wired similarily to the schematic on the MSnS page. Basically, I have a resistor between the 12v source for the box and the coil trigger. Line to pin 24 is hooked to the same side as the coil trigger.

Dizzy is securely locked ( I welded the wieghts together! ). Coil is being triggered by VB921 (or whatever it's called). I performed the suggested mods to my V3 board to the best of my understanding.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem.

V3 pcb running MSnS 029q.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

2 degrees either side at idle could very well be in your timming chain or belt or any other gears that run the dissy.I have a cam that gives my chain a good workout with it's lopey idle.It would probably be better with a crank trigger but I suppose you have to ask how steady was it before Msns was doing the timing.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke