No start after code update, HELP!

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

volvo_tbo
MS/Extra Newbie

No start after code update, HELP!

Post by volvo_tbo »

Hello,

First af all I had a completly operational system with extra code 020i with followinng setup:
Dizzy mounted VR sensor with dual 4pin Hei modules and ignition out from led 17, idle output was modded for PWM mode but not connected. Ignition trigger was set correctly in 60+22,5+22,5 and worked perfectly. I had VE table set so and so due too small injectors and ignition table quaite OK. I still had all enrichments set of due not yet perfect VE. The board is version 2.2 with small extra hardware but not yet connected exept ignition as instructed.
Now the problem is that I updated to code 029q2 and manually transferred VE, ignition table and basic settings. Offcourse some settings I had to take quaite out of my hat cause old code didnt have those options. After the update I can not get the engine to start, it promises and then kikcs back like advance would be too high. So I fidled around with trigger angle +-10 degrees but it doesnt seem to help at all. Then I tried to play with fuel, by manually setting cranking pulsewidhs all the same, to the figure I wanted to try. But now I am complitely lost so I really need help how to set the new code to start..
Not real horsepower, just turboshit...
davezed
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by davezed »

Hi volvo_tbo
It may pay to post your msq + engine deals, otherwise it's a bit like "how long is a bit of string". As a thought, I think James wrote somewhere it is always a good idea to first load the default msq (found in the zip file under \Default_Files directory) sent with the s/w version update before loading your own. 20i sounds pretty old also do not think your old msq will be useable, have you also updated megatune?

Cheers
DaveZZ
volvo_tbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by volvo_tbo »

Hello,

First of I did take the new wersion of megatune and it shows correct code in up bar. Then I downloaded the basic clean code first and then set up temp values with combile.bat and downloaded the new code. I didn't use any of old files or settings due suspected code differences. I set up all values manually, like they were in old code. I think my problem is that there are so many new variables in the new code that I get confused with those and can't get those set up correctly. I'd propably need to check out someone elses .msq files with similar setup to get my things correct.

Yea, and my engine is Volvo B23E+T whit header and deacent turbo. I have 405 cyl head K-cam and 9.4compression. Dizzy is locked VR sensor type with 4 pin HEI schematics. Injectors are really small 465cc and i will get those 1000cc injectors after I get it to running order.

You have to remember that it was fully working system before the update, so it prpably is onenly with those new variables in this code.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Provided you adjust the settings while connected to Megasquirt or first open one of the default files, all of the new options are set to reasonable defaults and are turned off.

If you opened up Megatune offline and didn't load a file you will get all sorts of strange behaviour as all data will be zero.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
volvo_tbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by volvo_tbo »

OK, That figures. Thank U!
volvo_tbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by volvo_tbo »

Ok,

Now I have tryed everything I can figure and I onely get the bloody thing to promise a little, so I downloaded the old 020i and voila it runs as it used to! here are my .msq files from both if somebody can figure it out. I can live with old code but I'd like to get PWM Idle to work...
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

It will take me some time to get the required old version of Megatune re-installed so I can view that 020i msq file.

If you started with the default msq and keyed in your data you ought to be close. Check that your engine is firing at the right time with a strobe.. I presume you have a "smart dwell" module, in this case turn dwell control off and set it to 75%. The VE and advance tables ought to work as they are really.
Check your cranking pulsewidths are something like.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
volvo_tbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by volvo_tbo »

Hello,

So Cranking PW:s are about the same on both, and ignition dwell was set to 75%, ignition timing I couldn't check because I was alone, but all settings for trigger was the same. I am quaite positive that it is something ignition realated. By the way I notised that with new code ignition modules doesn't heat up allmoast at all, like with old code.
volvo_tbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by volvo_tbo »

Today I hopefully found the problem! Car didn't start when I was leaving home from work, it acted exactly like with trying it with new code. Then I suddently it fired up, dropped to 3 cyl then back to 4, so on and on. It runned better with high PW's and it was acting wery strangely with low PW's. So at home I suspected a intermitted harnes failure and after measuring everything, I couldnt find any failures from system until I measured injector resistanses across the other injector with ECU disconnected. There were 4 ohms too big value to the injector when measuring from inj #2 connector to inj #4. After that I found that when tapping the fuel rail resistanse varied between open circuit to correct 14 ohms and after all it wasn't even a harnes fault, injector #4 had an internal failure and when tapped to body it opened the circuit time to time.. NOT an easy fault to find! I am little supprised because those injectors were brand new, onely used for a about 3 hrs.

So propably I was just unlucky to get the failure after code change?

Luckilly I just got my 1000cc injectors so I can convert to those, onely thing that I need to mock up resistor pack to my wiring, or is it possible to run low resistance injectors with PWM limit witout flyback board witout fear of flyback failure? Btw. new injectors are 2 ohm bosh.