AE101 4AGZE Cam Sensor Help

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

myk
Helpful MS/Extra'er

AE101 4AGZE Cam Sensor Help

Post by myk »

Ok, so I have an AE101 4AGZE from Japan, which uses wasted spark and a cam sensor (G1,G2,Ne,G-)

I got a professionally built MS unit v3.0 with the extra conditioner circuits for the cam sensor.

I can't get the sensor to read any RPM or cause spark to happen, however when I spin the sensor the Spark Advance gauge changes and the "FIdle/Spark" lights up.

If I set the codebase to Neon it actually reads a believable RPM, however does not spark.

I tried adjusting the blue pots on the board to get the senor to work. Each of the sensor's triggers are around 150-700 ohms.

I don't know what to do.

Any ideas?

Mike
myk
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by myk »

And yes I did wire the sensor directly to MS. I checked the wiring several times and it cannot be wired incorectly.

Mike
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

the extra conditioner (lm1815 I'm assuming?) could be bad... I've had this happen on my setups that use a second trigger when the second trigger conditioner is bad.

Just a sanity check:

You should have the following setup:

Codebase: wheel decoder

Wheel decoder settings:

12 teeth
2nd trigger
no missing.

And you should have trigger/return settings and trigger angle that make sense for your setup. I'm not sure how the cam sensor is installed stock.
myk
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by myk »

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I have Codebase set to Wheel Decoder and no other.
12 teeth, no missing, 2nd trigger
trigger angle = 77 + 22.5
(10,4) tooth triggers
active edge? (set to rising) (don't know which to use, but I tried both anyway)

I realized that I never connected G- to ground, so I just wired G- from the sensor and from MS to ground.

Mike
myk
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by myk »

Still reads no RPM.
bcrx7
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bcrx7 »

Try turning the two variable resistors on teh board all the way counterclockwise until they click.
1984 Mazda RX-7 GTM Class (BP Engine + BW-EFR 8374 Turbo Full COP/Sequential on MS3+MS3x)
1986 Toyota 4Runner (22RE running on MS2-Extra 3.2.1)
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Also, that trigger angle seems a bit high... although that wouldn't cause you not to see rpms.