Got Spark, but cranking RPM is 100

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kool
MS/Extra Newbie

Got Spark, but cranking RPM is 100

Post by kool »

Hi all,

I'm using a MS v2.2 board on a Toyota 4AGE 20V Silvertop which had an airflow meter. The AFM seemed to have gone crazy and the car was running stupidly rich with my exhaust becoming a flame thrower. So I built the MS to get rid of the AFM, control the fueling and also to let the quad throttle roar. :)

The fuel-only setup went great (following the instructions in the manual and reading this forum), so I had MS controlling fuel, with ignition and everthing else (fidle, etc) controlled by the stock ECU.

As I was tuning up to 4,000 rpm, I kept having problems with the car not being able to rev and eventually stalling. After checking a bunch of stuff, I opened up the stock ECU and found that it has some burnt marks. So I guess the stock ECU was fried and time to get the EDIS components.

Fast forward 2 months. The EDIS parts are here. Crimp...Solder...heatshrink....ah...smell of solder.

Anyway, I fitted the 36-1 wheel with the missing teeth 90 degree off (3 o'clock position) onto the crank pully. Made a bracket and fitted the VR sensor somewhere convinent and out of the way of the belts.

Since I'm using a TechEdge Wideband O2, the 5A power to the heated O2 sensor is not used (pin 87 on Fuel pump relay). I used this same power lead to the EDIS (replaced with a 15A fuse of course).

On the EDIS module, IDS (pin 2) and CTO (pin 11) are unconnected.

Coil A fires cylinder 1&4, Coil B fires cylinder 2&3.

Ensure SAW is not connected. Fitted a spark plug and cranked. No spark.

Swapped the VR wires. Cranked. Spark! yeah!

Connected SAW to the MS, crank while watching the Realtime Display. RPM hit 100rpm at the most.

I'm using the 029q MSnS firmware. One thing is that I do not have fidle connected now.

Thank you for reading my long-winded story, if you guys have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks again.

regards,
koo
motown menace
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by motown menace »

When you say you mounted the VR sensor "somewhere convient", is it the proper distance from the missing tooth? The VR sensor must be in a specific location (dependent on 4,6, 8 cyl.) to work correctly.

I'm not sure if this is related to your RPM issue, but this would certnially cause combustion events to happen at the wrong time.

http://picasso.org/mjlj/?q=node/2

Skip the first part, then it explains VR/wheel mounting.
kool
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kool »

Thanks! Actually I re-read the instructions and realised I've made a stupid mistake. :lol:

I remounted the 36-1 tooth ring and got the car started! Phew!

Thanks again.