boost controller

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

screamer69
Experienced MS/Extra'er

boost controller

Post by screamer69 »

can anybody tell me the best valve to use for the boost controller in the uk please

many thanx
2.0 8v turbo 10.7 standing 1/4@136mph on m/s fastest mk2 astra 8vt in europe !!!
2.0 turbo tigra 10.1 standing 1/4 @ 145 mph with problems :( havent turned the boost up yet
fritoss007
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fritoss007 »

same question from myself...but for the US ??

thanks alot !
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by superchargingmachine »

I don't know about the best valve but I do know that the GM CK 6.5L diesels used a PWM vacuum valve to control the actuator. Should work in a pressure based system I would think.

I think some Subaru and SAAB vehicles use PWM solenoid's too. Can anyone post specific vehicle's that use them?
IanS
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by IanS »

I've heard of people using the VW/Audi Bosch N75 valve. Its a standard 3 port solenoid setup. All the 1.8T engines have one.

The GM one might be fairly equivalent and probably cheaper, though.

If you want to try to snag one for cheap, post on VWVortex in the classifieds and someone might be selling their stock one. Some 1.8T guys 'upgrade' their N75's to ones which allow more boost. Its probably just a smaller orifice on the boost line side, but it means a few people will have extra ones they're not using.
screamer69
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by screamer69 »

does the boost controller work with externall wastgate
2.0 8v turbo 10.7 standing 1/4@136mph on m/s fastest mk2 astra 8vt in europe !!!
2.0 turbo tigra 10.1 standing 1/4 @ 145 mph with problems :( havent turned the boost up yet
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

screamer69 wrote:does the boost controller work with externall wastgate
It'll work with internal or external wastegates.
baldur
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by baldur »

I have observed that many of these valves have a pretty long response time, so at relatively low duty cycles they won't open at all and high duty cycles they won't close at all so maybe PWM control isn't all that good for some of those valves, perharps a frequency control consisting of fixed length pulses would do the job better?
Baldur Gislason