turbo timer

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Fastest95PGT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Fastest95PGT »

It's not quite that simple. Especially for those of us with non-water cooled turbos.
1995 Ford Probe GT ~ Megasquirted & Boosted
275whp/242wtq @ 5.5psi ---- 317whp/287wtq @ 8.5psi
^^^ (thanks to MSnS-E and dyno tuning by me!)
2003 GSX1300R (Hayabusa)
fastereddie1011
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fastereddie1011 »

yeah, I go by exhaust temp and it takes about 5 min. to cool down to 600 deg. where I like to shut it off.
My drinking team has a racing problem!
1989 ford probe lx. Turbo Fe3 swap
Approx. 300hp courtesy of Msns-extra. Sold the probe to some kid. Now its junk.....

Current project- 83 Chevy K10 w/TPI 383 MS2 ver3 board extra code 3.3.3?
audibeanss
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by audibeanss »

Why not take the "after-run" relay out of the Audi 5000 turbo's. They are just a simple relay, with a capacitor that discharges after the ignition is switched off.

You can use it to kick on a after run coolent pump, with a temp. sensor. I've got this system on my car, it works perfectly.

EDIT:
Here is a pic of the after-run cooling system on the 5000 turbo's

It's all controlled by an afterrun relay that circulates coolent through the turbo backwards by a temp. switch in the head.
Fastest95PGT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Fastest95PGT »

audibeanss wrote:It's all controlled by an afterrun relay that circulates coolent through the turbo backwards by a temp. switch in the head.
And for those of us without coolant in their turbo? (like many many aftermarket non-factory turbo cars)
2003 GSX1300R (Hayabusa)
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

And for those of us without coolant in their turbo? (like many many aftermarket non-factory turbo cars)
As has been mentioned in previous turbo timer threads, pressurized oil accumulators such as the type sold by Moroso (and buildable yourself from a common household fire extinguisher or exhaust pipe) can be used to supply cooling after-run oil to oil cooled turbo's. See here: http://www.guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php? ... dcd1364922 Racer's use them. Should be good enough for the street. Just not as blingy as a car running with nobody in it. 8)

Nice thing is they also help while you run them - not just for cooldown. You don't have to install the solenoid pre-start system, but you must have a simple restricted one-way valve sytem to allow slow filling but fast oil release to the turbo. Many companies like McMaster-Carr sell them fairly cheaply.

Another option is the after-run oil circulation pump similar to the secondary water pump that audibeanss showed. I've seen them built from small EFI fuel pumps. Neither option will impress the girls as much as a turbo timer, but they are functional and safer if you actually need one.

Hope that helps,
David
Fastest95PGT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Fastest95PGT »

I have a Turbo Timer so I'm not really worried about MS doing it.

I'm just pointing out things some people might have forgotten.
2003 GSX1300R (Hayabusa)
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

Absolutely. Good point. I wish the search system could go waaaaay back and pull all the neat ideas up on any given subject, but it seems some stuff has just gone poof. :?

David
Daryl
Helpful MS/Extra'er

turbo timer

Post by Daryl »

"Here's how it works: when the coolant temp is above your set switchpoint, the output will go high and energize the relay coil thus connecting the 12V power to MS. So, even when you turn the key off, MS still has power and the car will continue running until it cools off below the set coolant temp switchpoint, at which point the output will go low, the relay will de-energize and MS will turn off."

Sounds good, EXCEPT, I would suggest a kill switch for the "unlikely" event of a cooling system failure in which the engine really is overheating. I had a rad hose blow on my car a few weeks ago, and this setup would have kept my car running until I could pull something to kill it.......

Daryl

Posted by email.
audibeanss
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by audibeanss »

To me, the whole idea of having the engine running, possible un-attended, seems like dangerous territory.

Most cars have today, have some sort of after-run relay, that kicks on the rad. fan after the engine is off. It wouldn't be difficult to modife such a relay into a turbo timer.
MiataMath
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: turbo timer

Post by MiataMath »

Daryl wrote:"Here's how it works: when the coolant temp is above your set switchpoint, the output will go high and energize the relay coil thus connecting the 12V power to MS. So, even when you turn the key off, MS still has power and the car will continue running until it cools off below the set coolant temp switchpoint, at which point the output will go low, the relay will de-energize and MS will turn off."

Sounds good, EXCEPT, I would suggest a kill switch for the "unlikely" event of a cooling system failure in which the engine really is overheating. I had a rad hose blow on my car a few weeks ago, and this setup would have kept my car running until I could pull something to kill it.......

Daryl

Posted by email.
The problem with this system is.... if the engine is running.. the coolant won't cool down.. it will probably even get a bit higher as there is less airflow to cool thing off. So the relay will never power off once trigger on.
Miata '96, Tein Flex, HDHCDD, MS'n'Spark V3, Fuel only for now.

DIY turbo in mind :)