turbo timer

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

purple people eater
MS/Extra Newbie

turbo timer

Post by purple people eater »

has anyone looked into the possibility of a turbo timer?

just a programmable output, that powers for a set amount of time?
screamer69
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: turbo timer

Post by screamer69 »

purple people eater wrote:has anyone looked into the possibility of a turbo timer?

just a programmable output, that powers for a set amount of time?
that would be good as it has everthing rpm, temp, etc
would be a nice addition to the m/s as i hate sitting in the car waiting for it to cool down after a ragging

what do u say james can it be done ??????
2.0 8v turbo 10.7 standing 1/4@136mph on m/s fastest mk2 astra 8vt in europe !!!
2.0 turbo tigra 10.1 standing 1/4 @ 145 mph with problems :( havent turned the boost up yet
Wfc
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Wfc »

i would be interested in this as well, is it possible?
kilvo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kilvo »

yeah some one do it, me very interested :RTFM:
Name: KILVO
Vehicle: 1995 Vauxhall Astra GSI
Engine: 2.0 liters), 4Cyl DIS Pack.
Injection: 241cc Injectors.
Description: Runs Like a dream,.
Fastest95PGT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Fastest95PGT »

Figure that at a minimum you would need two connections to the CPU for this.

1. An input for the trigger to say the ignition has been turned off.
2. An output for triggering a relay to keep the car in RUN.

Probably to be on the safe side it'd detect if your car stalled as well to turn the potentially unmonitored car off.

The only downside is the limited number of inputs/outputs on the MS1 processor.
1995 Ford Probe GT ~ Megasquirted & Boosted
275whp/242wtq @ 5.5psi ---- 317whp/287wtq @ 8.5psi
^^^ (thanks to MSnS-E and dyno tuning by me!)
2003 GSX1300R (Hayabusa)
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

I would really like a built in turbo timer as well!
screamer69
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by screamer69 »

[quote="Fastest95PGT"]Figure that at a minimum you would need two connections to the CPU for this.

Probably to be on the safe side it'd detect if your car stalled as well to turn the potentially unmonitored car off.

quote]

yer but couldnt you it be done on software through m/s and have like a rev limitor as when the turbo timers running anything over say 2k it kills it ( due to theft ) i must be able to do that through the m/s software side

p.s i no foook all about software side so ive prob open my gob nowing naff all :oops: :oops: :oops:
2.0 8v turbo 10.7 standing 1/4@136mph on m/s fastest mk2 astra 8vt in europe !!!
2.0 turbo tigra 10.1 standing 1/4 @ 145 mph with problems :( havent turned the boost up yet
Fastest95PGT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Fastest95PGT »

screamer69 wrote: yer but couldnt you it be done on software through m/s and have like a rev limitor as when the turbo timers running anything over say 2k it kills it ( due to theft ) i must be able to do that through the m/s software side

p.s i no foook all about software side so ive prob open my gob nowing naff all :oops: :oops: :oops:
My comment on disabling it when the vehicle shuts off due to stall is for those who will burn out their ignitor if the car is turned to ON without running.

p.s. Spell check before hitting submit is your friend. :)
2003 GSX1300R (Hayabusa)
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

So what's the verdict? Would this be possible?
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

This subject has been covered several times in the past. Although there may be ways to implement it in MS, the fact that it can be done very easily with just a resisitor, capacitor and transistor (about 30 cents in parts) on the main power relay prevents anyone from taking the time to program it. I think someone even found a factory relay for power windows that already has the delay circuit built-in.

I would caution anyone that it must be optionally controlled with a switch to activate it as there are times you must stop the engine immediately. Besides - how are you going to kill the engine and coast into the driveway at 3AM if it won't die for the next 2 minutes? :lol:
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

PSIG wrote:This subject has been covered several times in the past. Although there may be ways to implement it in MS, the fact that it can be done very easily with just a resisitor, capacitor and transistor (about 30 cents in parts) on the main power relay prevents anyone from taking the time to program it. I think someone even found a factory relay for power windows that already has the delay circuit built-in.

I would caution anyone that it must be optionally controlled with a switch to activate it as there are times you must stop the engine immediately. Besides - how are you going to kill the engine and coast into the driveway at 3AM if it won't die for the next 2 minutes? :lol:
Hmm good idea.
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by superchargingmachine »

If anyone knows what car the relay that has the delay in it came in that sure would be great info to have.
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

superchargingmachine wrote:If anyone knows what car the relay that has the delay in it came in that sure would be great info to have.
I have the ability to turn my car off, remove the key, and roll the windows up or down before opening the door... but I am not sure if thats a General Module feature or if the relay itself is timed... I think the former, but I will check it out - after I open my door to get out, the ability to move the windows is gone.
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

That is probably as good a relay to look at as any at least to start with. So modle car?
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

superchargingmachine wrote:That is probably as good a relay to look at as any at least to start with. So modle car?
Not sure what your question meant -

It's a 1992 BMW 525i. I have to figure out if the window feature is a function of the General Module or a timed relay. I will look into it.
Fastest95PGT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Fastest95PGT »

PSIG wrote:Besides - how are you going to kill the engine and coast into the driveway at 3AM if it won't die for the next 2 minutes? :lol:
Plan ahead.. travelling 30mph = shut car off 1 mile + 50 feet before destination. ;)
Jon k wrote:I have the ability to turn my car off, remove the key, and roll the windows up or down before opening the door... but I am not sure if thats a General Module feature or if the relay itself is timed... I think the former, but I will check it out - after I open my door to get out, the ability to move the windows is gone.
That's quite common in newer vehicles. More and more vehicles I get into leave the radio on after you shut it down until you open the door.
2003 GSX1300R (Hayabusa)
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Jon k wrote:
superchargingmachine wrote:That is probably as good a relay to look at as any at least to start with. So modle car?
Not sure what your question meant -

It's a 1992 BMW 525i. I have to figure out if the window feature is a function of the General Module or a timed relay. I will look into it.
Sorry not enough coffee yet this morning. I was just asking what modle car it was. Thanks!
turbodudey
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by turbodudey »

Here is a simple way to run a turbo timer on MS:

The MS unit is powered from a switched 12V, so when you turn the key off MS turns off and the car then shuts off. (no more fuel or spark)

For the turbo timer: add a second 12V source to the MS (pin 28 on v3.0 board if i'm remembering correctly) that is switched by a relay. Use one of the optional outputs from MS with coolant temp as the source to control the relay. And for security measures you could also add a simple switch on the parking brake so the car won't run unless the brake is on.

Here's how it works: when the coolant temp is above your set switchpoint, the output will go high and energize the relay coil thus connecting the 12V power to MS. So, even when you turn the key off, MS still has power and the car will continue running until it cools off below the set coolant temp switchpoint, at which point the output will go low, the relay will de-energize and MS will turn off.
~Dudeck
Fastest95PGT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Fastest95PGT »

A turbo timer's not meant specifically to let the motor cool down. It's to let the turbo cool down. So you would need some sort of oil temp sensor hooked in rather than working off your coolant temp.

No matter how hard I drive my car, the coolant temp doesn't go more than a couple degrees higher than normal.

If I was just driving on the highway at 4k rpm (that's ~84mph in my car) for an extended period of time, my motor would actually be cooler than average "around town" driving but I would still want to let the turbo cool down before shutting it off.
2003 GSX1300R (Hayabusa)
thedge
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thedge »

Overall turbo timers are pretty much pointless IMHO. All you have to do is drive gently for the last couple of minutes before parking and park. If youre paranoid give it 10 or 15 seconds idling before turning it off. Remove stereo faceplate, grab your wallet and cell, etc.
1986 Porsche 944 Turbo
2.7 liter MID sleeved big bore, Wossner pistons, Vitesse Stage 2 turbo, coilovers, various weight deletes, and loads of other stuff.