Trying to figure out reset problem

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

matt325is
MS/Extra Newbie

Trying to figure out reset problem

Post by matt325is »

Hey guys, my MS resets randomly sometimes, as well as when I'm in boost at higher rpm (3500+), but not all the time. Attached is a datalog, and a couple pictures of the reset itself if it may help.

Some things I need to know, on the Mega Log Viewer, what are port a, b, c, and d? These are very jumpy, and I'd like to know what they are for. I'm running a 6cyl, 60-2 wheel, 3 vb921s, 3 MSD 2post coils for waste fire, boost controller (currently not hooked up to vac/boost line though), fan control.

The next problem I have is a random spark angle spike down. In this datalog it goes from 23btdc, to 13, then back to 23. I really dont understand it, nothing else really changes on the gauges at the bottom during this event.

Any ideas?

These 2 graphs show the split second reset in time, you can see the ASE and Warmup turn on, and the counter resets to 0.

In this picture you can notice the spike down in timing angle, any ideas what could cause this?

Reset Problem

Spark Angle Drop Problem

Thanks guys, any input is greatly appreciated.

matt
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

porta,b,c,d are the physical input/output ports on the processor. Unless you are a code guy these probably won't mean a lot. To find out what each bit means read the msns-extra.h in the src directory of the zip.

The spark angle is changing because there is a spike on the map.

Processor resets are a serious problem and tuning will be next to impossible until they are sorted.

How clean are you plugs? With dirty plugs mine started reseting, after a blow-torch cleaning the resets went away.
Plus, I've found I'm using non-resistor plugs. Resistor plugs are known to help.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
matt325is
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by matt325is »

An update here,

Since I wired it in the beginning, I had the 2 extra vb921s wired to the jumper for R43, and have leads that connect that jumper to a DB9 connector with 3 pins for ground (for more grounding ability), and 3 pairs of pins for the 3 coils.

I tried isolating all of the vb921 grounds (including the onboard one that came with ms), so it wasn't grounding through the board at all. I tried firing it up and it was resetting the ecu every few seconds during idle, and the vb921s were getting hot really quick, so I shut it off. I rewired the onboard one to go through the board again, and fired it up and it didnt reset at idle anymore, but still resets under load at higher rpm.

Does the board itself have enough grounding capability to ground the 3 coil ignitors on its own? Should I try to ground all 3 ignitors through the jumper for R43, without the external DB9 helping out?

I'm going to buy NGK BPR7ES resistor plugs and see if it helps out the higher rpm resets. If all else fails, I'll splurge for the MSD DIS 4 box to amplify the outputs. It had no resets with my single VB921 outputing to the MSD 6BTM box that went to my distributer, so maybe the VBs are drawing too much from the MS board to fire the 3 coils on their own. Otherwise it runs great for cruising around town, 22mpg on the highway and 17 in the city with 80lb/hr injectors.

Thanks for the input.

matt
kg6dxn

Post by kg6dxn »

I had a major reset problem due to spikes on the MSD ignition. To solve it I removed the 1XG/2XG jumper, ran a wire from 1XG to pin 6 (ignition shield) and grounded the shield at the MSD box. This mod gives an isolated ground to the opto isolator. ALL resets went away after this mod! Give it a try it may work. MSD's are very noisy! (emf), at 3000rpm+/- they swithch from 6 sparks to only one. This transition could be your problem.