How to use AFR target tables

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

DeneOehme
Helpful MS/Extra'er

How to use AFR target tables

Post by DeneOehme »

I have my fuel VE table pretty close thanks to lots of WB tuning. I wanted to see if using a target AFR table could get things even closer.

I've created a target table and selected AFR Table 1 in More Settings/Lambda AFR settings. No difference.

What other settings do I need to have to get this to work?

Thanks in advance.

Dene

Fuel only MSnS NA straight 6.
coyoteboy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by coyoteboy »

presumably you have the wideband connected to the ECU and EGO correction enabled to a decent level? Maybe your tables are bob on? How are you sure its not working?
Fastest95PGT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Fastest95PGT »

Are all the values in your AFR target table 14.7? If so, having a target table or not won't change the target AFR because 14.7 is what it's shooting for anyways.

Remember, target AFR only works in closed loop. This means it's ignored at idle, open loop, and any time EGO correction is not going on.
1995 Ford Probe GT ~ Megasquirted & Boosted
275whp/242wtq @ 5.5psi ---- 317whp/287wtq @ 8.5psi
^^^ (thanks to MSnS-E and dyno tuning by me!)
2003 GSX1300R (Hayabusa)
coyoteboy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by coyoteboy »

Fastest95PGT wrote:Are all the values in your AFR target table 14.7? If so, having a target table or not won't change the target AFR because 14.7 is what it's shooting for anyways.
Is a good and simple point id missed.
DeneOehme
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DeneOehme »

My ratios in the target table are not all 14.7. I have basically 12.5 at 100 MAP down to 15:1 at off throttle.

I suspect the settings which allow the ego correction to take over and make use of the tables are wrong.

What EGO and any other settings do I need to use to get the ego correction to access this table? Bearing in mind I've never in the past used ego correction and done all of my performance tuning on a dyno and no datalogging/tuning via megatweak.

I still however see the target tables a potentially valuable feature that I'd like to at least experiment with.

Basically I don't know what ego settings to use to get this to work.

Dene
Techedge WB, MS 1 with 2.2 board,
Fastest95PGT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Fastest95PGT »

If your EGO correction ever happens, it'll be off the target tables.

Telling the difference between your low end target of 15.1 and 14.7 could be difficult depending on how far down the exhaust your WB O2 is (lagged response).

As I previously stated, target tables are only used during closed loop. Look for the exhaust gas menu and make sure it's got values so it will eventually go active. This means an RPM above idle, a throttle position above closed ADC, MAP above whatever your idle MAP is, and a temperature you will eventually hit.

Then go to your open loop menu and make sure your MAP is not set so low that you'll never be lower than the exhaust gas menu above so you can actually hit closed loop.

I find it hard to believe you've never driven with EGO happening. I'm not saying you can't.. it just won't drive anywhere near as smooth and your gas mileage will be horrible.

As said, WOT, you're likely in open loop so that 12.5 you set won't get touched because most have their setup go open loop around 80-85kpa.
1995 Ford Probe GT ~ Megasquirted & Boosted
275whp/242wtq @ 5.5psi ---- 317whp/287wtq @ 8.5psi
^^^ (thanks to MSnS-E and dyno tuning by me!)
2003 GSX1300R (Hayabusa)