Basic acceleration issues

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

milosch01
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Basic acceleration issues

Post by milosch01 »

029R, MS 2.2, 3 coil wasted spark and TBI on a 68 Pontiac OHC 6, MT 2.5

I think my TPS is working. I can set closed and full throttle, and see the bar move correctly in between in the realtime display. I have tried TPS and MAP based acceleration setups and settled so far on TPS. I have newly rebuilt injectors on a TBI from a 4.3L engine, and mine is a 4.1L. Now that my wheel decoder is stable, I am still having this basic problem.

When I step on it, then engine tries to die. If while parked I raise the RPM steadily, it seems fine. For this motor, I am just not sure of what values would be needed in the acceleration wizard to help counter this. I think I need a LOT of enrichment. Maybe I just don't have enough fuel pressure. I have a Carter pump which is supposed to be a replacement for the Ford Econoline pump mentioned in the documentation. I don't have any fuel or air leaks in the fuel line as far as I can tell.

I recently changed TBI adapters to a 1" TBI spacer with a TBI-to-Qjet adapter plate. This helped remove air leaks from my previous setup of adapter and 1" Qjet spacer. The problem was there before the swap.
kg6dxn

Post by kg6dxn »

It souns like you are too rich on your squirt. Try to reduce the squirt duration (value ms). The v/s is how fast you open the throttle, the duration is how much fuel is added during the squirt. Reduce the "value ms" in the lowest bin to 0.5 and work up from there. If it "pops" add more fuel.
snillet
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by snillet »

I found a way to establish the lowest point where i want the enrichment to kick in, i set the lowest millisecond-bin to a high value (too high) abd then i tried lower and lower voltages until it kicked in where i wanted it to, then i did the sema with the other millisecond bins.

Was a VERY fast way to find descent "step on gas" points to start up with.

Did a "trial´n error" before that but that was not near as quick to setup.
Peugeot 309GR1990 XU9JAZ(4cyl 1.9litre) 10.8:1 CR with 60-2 VR wheel decoding ,V2.2 card, singel coil and dizzy spark ,360cc 0 280 150 431 injectors. Msns-E hi-res 10d2 and E85(Ethanol) in the gastank.
milosch01
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by milosch01 »

Thanks guys, I'll try that. kg, can you tell me what values you have in your acceleration bins currently? I am probably way off from any defaults at this point.
milosch01
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by milosch01 »

That seems to have helped a lot. I lowered the numbers in the lower v/s and ms bins then added more ms until it stopped backfiring. Not perfect but it's driveable now. Thanks!

p.s. After 3-4 months of hacking on this I took the car to get it inspected. So, another person was able to drive the car without killing it. I hope I am down to minor tweaking now.
kg6dxn

Post by kg6dxn »

Remember, the ECU will average the values in all 4 bins if your engine goes outside those perameters. Make sure all 4 bins "make sense" in order to have a smoth accel. If you have the lowest bin close try to double the value (v/s & ms) in the next bin and the next and so on. this may help get you close.
milosch01
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by milosch01 »

Thanks. Currently the values more than double going up, with 25 in the topmost v/s bin. Not sure where that value came from since I don't remember typing it.

edit - changed them now to the following and it is better:
4 8
2 4
1 2
.5 1

But on the meter which displays v/s I rarely see it hit the upper bins. Maybe my foot is just too slow...
TV Super Bee
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TV Super Bee »

The factory default is 25 v/s in the top bin. I'm not sure how they came up with that value. Most of us could only reach that value if we slammed our foot on the pedal as fast as humanly possible. No one drives like that unless you are a drag racer. With the engine OFF land the key ON, look at the "realtime display", watch the accel bar move up and down with the throttle movement. This will give you a visual of how fast you move your foot on the pedal. You can then guesstamate where the highest bin could be. remember the ECU will average the values in a linear fassion, so set it for street driving unless you are a racer.
1969 Dodge Super Bee
383 EFI dual 65mm throttle bodies, 36lb injectors
"AS SEEN ON TV"
www.moparalley.org/gallery/hollywood