EDIS Problem after rewire

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

danG
MS/Extra Newbie

EDIS Problem after rewire

Post by danG »

I have a 95 toyota tercel with a td04l turbo, lots of other mods.

When I initially installed ms and EDIS (I had it running), my wiring wasn't very neat, so me and a friend went back and rewired everything. It looks really good now, all nice and loomed, but I can't get it to start. This problem sprung up after we redid the ignition wiring, but I have been back over the wiring about 100 times looking for problems, and can't find anything wrong with the wiring.

When I try to start it it pops a little, if I flood clear it backfires pretty bad. I pulled al lthe plugs, they are all sparking. Im getting a clean tach signal to ms, and the injectors are all firing. I didn't touch the VR sensor or crank wheel, so I am assuming the timing isn't off. I don't have a timing light handy, but Ill probably get one here pretty soon if I dont solve the problem. The symptoms are leading me to believe it is some kind of weak spark. I tried changing plugs, beefing up the +12v wires, adding/improving grounds... I just can't figure it out.

Im at the point where it makes almost no sense, and I am just staring at it at this point. Hopefully you guys can give me some new ideas so I can stop trying the same things over and over.

Thank you!
Ferret
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Ferret »

Check if you reversed the HT wires or the wires between the EDIS module and the coil pack.
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by superchargingmachine »

Yes, I agree it sounds like the wires from the EDIS module to the coil pack are reversed.
danG
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by danG »

Just checked, pin 12 on the module goes to pin 1 on the coil pack, pin 10 on the module goes to pin 3 of the coil pack. Also checked the spark plug leads, they were all on correctly.
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

It seems the most common error in EDIS wiring is that the schematic views are looking into the connectors on the wiring loom, not the module or coils. Maybe that helps? Image
danG
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by danG »

Probably not the problem, I think I wouldn't have had it running the first time if I couldn't figure that out :)
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

If it is sparking it seems like it can only be a couple things. The VR sensor is way off, which it doesn't sound like it could be. Or in the original install you had either the plug wires or the wires to the coils reversed. It is so easy to do. As a matter of fact my plug wires are reversed to compensate for reversed coil wires in my original install.

I can't think of any other way you could get RPM to Megatune and any spark out of the EDIS. If you had no spark or no RPM during cranking in Megatune you could start looking for other things.
danG
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by danG »

Ill go try switching the wires, but I'm pretty sure that part is correct. Does the +12v on the module need to be a pretty beefy wire? Thats the only one (power and ground wise) that I havent gone overboard on.
danG
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by danG »

Whoa. That fixed it. Thanks guys.
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

GREAT!!! I have been struggling with my car all week and I know how good it feels to get it fixed! I just got mine fixed tonight too.

BTW - I don't think the Module draws alot of amperage.
danG
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by danG »

I swear not only did I check those my friend did as well. Sooo wierd. Thanks again :)