Are there many VB921 success? (fixed)

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

germancartuner
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by germancartuner »

hobieboy wrote:My own update - wouldn't call it complete success yet but I finally was able to fire up the engine :D This is for a 6 cylinder twin plugged waste spark set up using 6 VB921s to drive 6 coils.

One lesson I learnt in my case - the CPU doesn't have enough juice to drive 6 VB921s. I ended up using a line buffer before the VB921 and now all my coils seem to be charging (still needs to confirm my dwell with a scope).
Did one of those a few months back, (I hate porsche owners) was a little tricky to get sorted. :RTFM:
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

germancartuner wrote:
Did one of those a few months back, (I hate porsche owners) was a little tricky to get sorted. :RTFM:[/quote]

Now now - this is getting discriminatory...
petteriu
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by petteriu »

Could you give more details of how you solved this ? Wiring, components etc.

Petteri
hobieboy wrote:My own update - wouldn't call it complete success yet but I finally was able to fire up the engine :D This is for a 6 cylinder twin plugged waste spark set up using 6 VB921s to drive 6 coils.

One lesson I learnt in my case - the CPU doesn't have enough juice to drive 6 VB921s. I ended up using a line buffer before the VB921 and now all my coils seem to be charging (still needs to confirm my dwell with a scope).
hobieboy
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hobieboy »

Essentially, I added a 74HC125 where the VB921 supposed to go per MSnSe instructions. Then each output of the 74HC125 is used to drive a pair of VB921; using 330ohm bias resistor.

Thanks James for this idea!

I suspect I needed this because my VB921 are remotely mounted in a separate chassis. But at least I'm pretty confident that I won't be over draining the CPU. YMMV.