MSnS -E running on fiat 2L engine trouble with trigger angle

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Ozze
MS/Extra Newbie

MSnS -E running on fiat 2L engine trouble with trigger angle

Post by Ozze »

Hi

Im just setting up my fiat 2l TwinCam engine with MSnS E and got it running today, but my trigger angle gives me trouble.
Its running stock VR sensor and stock trigger wheel with 2 tooths total, ie one per fireing. The problem is i cant put in more than 134 degres trigger angle and it acctually trigger about 170 degres before TDC. So currently im running 134 trigger angle and 26 degrees locked ignition resulting in spark comming at 10 degrees before tdc... but i dont want to add ignition timing all over the map, say put in 20 degrees more than acctual timing, guessing this isnt a good idea since trigger angle is so (too?) large?
Question is: What can i do with this high trigger angle? is it usable or do i need to move the trigger point?

And what about the trim angle in Megatune what does it do? I cant get it to change annything? is this right?

And Im having trouble with Really big rpm spikes, like when i hold engine at 1500 RPM it spikes to 13000 RPM and there by cutting engine (RPM limiter set at 6800 RPM) resulting in bakfires and poor running. Could be the fact that Im not grounding the Tach/ignition pin to same point as ms(?) will try and change that tomorrow and if its get better.

Havent driven the car yet, just started and reving (verry little due to RPM spikes) and trying to figure out how to solve trigger angle trouble

Code 029q
MS V3 board (standard B&G board)
Custom wirring loom
Distributor
Using high current driver to run coil directly
289cc injectors
Standard engine Fiat 2L Twin Cam out of a Fiat Croma

//Ozze
Ozze
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Ozze »

just did a check on the potentiometers and they were not turned fully counter clockwise, and have now turned the fully counter clockwise, so will check if it gets better tomorrow.
Ozze
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Ozze »

Hi again.

Now the car is up and running, im using 80 as trigger angle and 45 degree addition and then im running locked ignition at 16 degrees, locked ignition and that results in 15 degrees ignition (BTDC). So the trigger angle is acctually 80+45+15+16=156 degrees btdc is this too much? i could use 89 as trigger angle with addition of 45 wich would result in the fact that when i put 0 in ignition map i would have 9 degrees btdc ignition is this ok or do i need to move the sensor?

I got the RPM spikes sorted, adjusted the R52 and R56 of the board and managed to get the spikes out of the way with car still easy to start. I think the VR sensor i got gives out a verry high voltage at low rpms. Guess thats why i had problems, because i adjusted the zero crossing voltage and finetunde with the other.

//Ozze