Does crank trigger wheel need to be balanced.

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

R.J.
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Does crank trigger wheel need to be balanced.

Post by R.J. »

I am running MSnS-e with ford EDIS. I have been running it for a few months now and I was curious if the crank trigger wheel that is mounted on the crank pulley need to be balanced. I looked at the wheel while the car is running and there isn't much movement/vibration but I was wondering if it should be balanced. Will having it not balanced have a negative effect on the crankshaft or possibly the timing belt?
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by superchargingmachine »

I doubt DIY'rs know for sure but my guess is that it depends on how you make your trigger. If you suspect it might need balanced it probably should. But, you need to consider the weight compared to what it is bolted to.
milosch01
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by milosch01 »

I think that must be why my particular crank wheel setup never worked right. Which is why I ended up with this on the camshaft (don't try this at home):
Nickel_5000tq
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Nickel_5000tq »

Sure it need to be balanced but the effect is very small and most of us dont balance the damper. If you run 10 000 RPM it might be another story.

This is a 60-2 wheel setted for double 30-2 on the cam. So megatune ned to know your are using a 30 with 2 missing tooth.