Hesitation and running extremely rich, believe to be MS

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

HckyMstr19
MS/Extra Newbie

Hesitation and running extremely rich, believe to be MS

Post by HckyMstr19 »

Ive replaced all the sensors that could cause the problem, wires plugs coil pack, i have a 96 mitsu eclipse, and ive been told to reload my MSQs, did that, didnt help, i have now been told to reload my firmware, which ive gone on the STICKY up above and tried to find my firmware and the only one i can find is the newest one the 029q2 one which im not runnning, can i jsut download and use that one since i have been running a diff version, and im not even sure how to reload it anways its been a while, and if that doesnt work ive been told it could be that an injector stuck open which resulted in screwing up my flyback board which would cause all injectors to open, so im not sure wat to do, any help would be appreciated
HckyMstr19
MS/Extra Newbie

MS still screwed up

Post by HckyMstr19 »

Alrite people, ive changed and done just about everything possible to fix this problem, ive changed all the possible sensors , plugs, i reloaded my MSQ files and also reloaded my firmware which i am now running the newest 029q2 version, still runnning EXtrememly rich, please any help would be greatly appreciated on wat to do next
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

Can you be a little more specific?

First check to see if your injectors are stuck open, power up the MS and pull an injector connector, see if it's grounded when the engine is off. If there's continuity to ground, your FET driver, FETs, or flyback circuitry has died, which is caused by wiring mistakes (99% of the time).

Have you tried actually retuning this rich condition? what's the car doing exactly?!?
Squirted: it's easier to list the ones I haven't squirted. I need to do more motorcycle engines!
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

Also, check your vacuum line. Is the MS seeing vacuum? did you tune your own map or has the car ever run properly? NEED MORE INFO bro.

-scott
Squirted: it's easier to list the ones I haven't squirted. I need to do more motorcycle engines!
HckyMstr19
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by HckyMstr19 »

im not sure wat more info to give, it has been driving perfect for several months afr has been where its supposed to be, and then all of a sudden im driving aournd and i notice it hesitating or like missing, didnt pay much attention til it started to get progressively worse, and my wideband AFR guage all of a sudden started reading 10.0, thats as low of a number it can give me, i was like wat the hell. So i figure i check all my plugs and wow how they were all black, so i decided to get new ones and 2 days after getting them, they r all black, that is when i assumed it was the MS, so i asked some people around and they said to reload my MSQ files and/or reload my firmware which i did both and still the problem persisted, and with the newest version i have i can read the AFR on my laptop in megatune which is readin low 9s at idle. ive been told to check injectors to find out if there bad, cuz i was told if one stuck open for some reason it would ruin the flyback board causing all the injectors to stay open which is wat i believe it is. But i dont kno how or if there even is a way to check for sure if the flyback board or curcuit are bad. so first im going to check the injetors like u said by turning the MS on and taking the injector clip out and checking the ground. and i guess the only way to check the injectors them selfs would be to take them all out and get them flow tested at an auto shop? i guess. And yes my vacuum line is hooked up to the MS, like i said its been running perfectly with the tune ive been running for several months, so im trying to figure out why it would all of a sudden s*** on me
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

HckyMstr19 wrote:im not sure wat more info to give, it has been driving perfect for several months afr has been where its supposed to be, and then all of a sudden im driving aournd and i notice it hesitating or like missing, didnt pay much attention til it started to get progressively worse, and my wideband AFR guage all of a sudden started reading 10.0, thats as low of a number it can give me, i was like wat the hell. So i figure i check all my plugs and wow how they were all black, so i decided to get new ones and 2 days after getting them, they r all black, that is when i assumed it was the MS, so i asked some people around and they said to reload my MSQ files and/or reload my firmware which i did both and still the problem persisted, and with the newest version i have i can read the AFR on my laptop in megatune which is readin low 9s at idle. ive been told to check injectors to find out if there bad, cuz i was told if one stuck open for some reason it would ruin the flyback board causing all the injectors to stay open which is wat i believe it is. But i dont kno how or if there even is a way to check for sure if the flyback board or curcuit are bad. so first im going to check the injetors like u said by turning the MS on and taking the injector clip out and checking the ground. and i guess the only way to check the injectors them selfs would be to take them all out and get them flow tested at an auto shop? i guess. And yes my vacuum line is hooked up to the MS, like i said its been running perfectly with the tune ive been running for several months, so im trying to figure out why it would all of a sudden "crap" on me

The MS shouldn't just "change" without one of it's inputs changing. What you need to do is plug in with your laptop, start it up, and find out which input isn't making sense. Could be a bad coolant temp sensor (it'll read -40 degrees if it's disconnected somehow) or a bad MAT sensor (same thing, your intake air temps will not be accurate). My money is on a new vacuum leak, so when the car is idling, see what MAP it idles at, if it's a relatively stock 4G63 it should have 16-18 inches of vacuum at idle.

If none of the sensors show bad information, and the vacuum is good, put a timing light on it to make sure your CAS didn't slip out of place. I.e., make sure whatever advance the Megasquirt says it's running at, is actually visible with a timing light on the crank pulley.

Don't pull your injectors out just yet.

-scott
HckyMstr19
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by HckyMstr19 »

as a matter of fact now that u mention it, since i loaded the new version in i no have a MAT guage in megatune which i never had before but when i was in the driveway i noticed that it never gave me a reading it sat at -40, i was like wats goin on, and my vacuum is perfect and as for the CAS, i replaced that lol and the CPS as well so im pretty sure its not that. And going back to the MAT sensor, how would that cause the car to run extremely rich?
HckyMstr19
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by HckyMstr19 »

by they way im running MSnS Extra but just running fuel now, not spark
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

HckyMstr19 wrote:as a matter of fact now that u mention it, since i loaded the new version in i no have a MAT guage in megatune which i never had before but when i was in the driveway i noticed that it never gave me a reading it sat at -40, i was like wats goin on, and my vacuum is perfect and as for the CAS, i replaced that lol and the CPS as well so im pretty sure its not that. And going back to the MAT sensor, how would that cause the car to run extremely rich?

The MS thinks it's taking in -40 degree air, which is more dense thus needs more fuel. Check your vacuum lines too, but I'd say you found it.

Once the car is back to running good, take a datalog of it - then save it!! that way if you have more problems, you'll more quickly see what your issue is. Check your MAT sensor, it needs a ground on one pin and return to the MS on the other. It might just be unplugged.

later,
-scott
HckyMstr19
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by HckyMstr19 »

alrite well ill try that 2mara then, hopefully that will work, but ill let u kno if it doesnt, which im sure it wont, im not that lucky for it to be as simple as that lol but thanx for the info man, by the way my car isnt a 4g63, its the 420a