Stupid Question! I wouldn't even read this.

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Sodaguard
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Sodaguard »

I warned you, now here it is.

I am trying to load Msns onto Megatune via the immense instructions provided, but I am missing a few brain cells short. Thats right.

In the configurator, I am trying to activate msns-extra.ini.029k But it's not there. In the instructions it's there, but not on mine. Yes I did download 029q2.

Question 2... MSnEDIS-mod.ini won't activate either, "activate" is grey. So how do I set Megatune up for EDIS?

Thank You for your bravery and patience.

Phil

P.S. I did look all over the Megamanual to no avail.
rs2000
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rs2000 »

The easiest way i find to copy the ini file over is to run 'copyini.bat' that you will have downloaded as part of 029Q2. Then if you are updating from standard code you will need to edit 'settings.ini' to read 'set' next to 'MSNS_EXTRA "James Murray and Phil Ringwood's MSnS extensions"'. This file is found in usually in C:\Program Files\MegaSquirt\car1\mtCfg

The setting up for edis is as above, which is the same as for all other extra ignition options. You select the actual ignition type from within megatune..
Sodaguard
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Sodaguard »

Yep, thats what I'm getting at. It won't let me.
Sodaguard
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Sodaguard »

msns-extra.ini.029k is NOT there. big question mark?

Yeah, it's just not there. Thats the .ini file that the instructions tell you to use. Should I use msns-extra.ini.029c? Will this work?

Why is this difficult, the instructions are very simple.

I tried using the msns-extra.ini.029c, it worked but when I went back into the configurator the little + sign that is suppose to be next to "settings" was gone so I couldn't go into the "code variant" section again to turn on the edis code.

Oh and I do know that you turn on edis mode in megatune, but the "code config" pulldown menu is not there.

As to not further confuse myself, I uninstalled Megatune and reinstalled it to get erthang back to normal. So back to square one!
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by superchargingmachine »

Are you just trying to use MSnS-EDIS. Use msns-extra.ini with 29q2 use download-frimware.bat to flash 29q2 to your megasquirt then configure whatever output you are using for EDIS.

If this is wrong then I'm not following the question.
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

Sodaguard, I'm not sure where it's getting botched, but unzip the 029 zip file and run the copyini.bat file. Then open MT Configurator and select the Extra option in the /settings/ section similar to the pic below:
Now you should be able to find the correct 029k version you're looking for in the main MegaTune2.25 heading like the 029s being selected in the pic below. Be sure you click activate and save everything (file/save).
At this point you can put the boot jumper on your MS and power it up to use the download.bat file in the 029 zip folder you made earlier. Follow the directions on the screen. You should now have your desired 029k on the MS and in MT. Don't forget to pull the boot jumper and start playing!

Hope that helps,
David
Last edited by PSIG on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sodaguard
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Sodaguard »

Thank You! it does help, but it did not solve my problem.

msns-extra.ini.029c is last one on the list. I don't have 029k or 029s, does that matter?

Then how do you activate edis mode??? I don't have the "code config" menu in Megatune. HOW???

Thanks,

Phil

EDIT- Got it! I just messed with stuff in MT and I found erthang I needed!
Thank You all for the help! (so much better than Neons.org)
petteriu
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by petteriu »

You have unzipped version 029k and trying to use that ?
If so, look at the folder you zipped it to. There should be file called msns-extra.ini or msns-extra.ini.029k. If it's the first one, rename it to later. Copy this to MegaTune installation directory to folder mtCfg ! After this start MegaConfigurator and you should have option to select code version 029k. Activate that and make desired setting changes to tell it's EDIS you want to run.
If you've run the copyini.bat script, i'm guessing file msns-extra.ini in distribution package is named without the code version in the end and therefore so you are actually already using that version in your MegaTune. But i find it much easier to name identify them by their code and to be able to activate and deactivate different version in MegaTune.
Download-firmaware.bat is for tranferring code to MS box. If you are updating existing MSNS extra code you can do it with software, but if you are updating original MS code, you have to place boot jumper in place.

Petteri

Sodaguard wrote:
Thank You! it does help, but it did not solve my problem.

msns-extra.ini.029c is last one on the list. I don't have 029k or 029s, does that matter?

Then how do you activate edis mode??? I don't have the "code config" menu in Megatune. HOW???

Thanks,

Phil

Posted by email.
cossie_storm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cossie_storm »

you can edit the copyini.bat file, maybye you are using another dir\folder?
Ford sierra Is turbo 88
Turbo t-3 Audi s2 dyser ca 345cc
Megatune 2.25
Msns-s 0.29 Q
ms v 2.2
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by superchargingmachine »

This is what I was getting at yesterday. To use EDIS you can install 29q2 and activate it through Megatune2.25. I just looked at the MSnS-E site and can't find the reference to 29k but it may be there.

You can open the car1/megatune/setting file into notepad and manually edit the file if the configurator will not work. When you go into the file change from __set MS_1 to unset MS_1 and set MSnS-E All the other settings in that file work the same way. Then save the file and when you open Megatune it will be read.

I run Windows 95 and cannot use the configurator either.

Then in Megtune you set EDIS in the Codebase Dropdown menu.