nitrous wiring questions

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

onephatz
MS/Extra Newbie

nitrous wiring questions

Post by onephatz »

ok, I've redrawn the nitrous wiring so that I can ask some questions.

1. resistors at 1, 2, & 3 can they be a little lower or higher that the values given on the orginal? ( I have misc resistors around that are not exactly as discribed)

2. are the diodes at 4 & 5 oriented correctly?

3. where is a good +5v and ground on the v2.2 board

4. can the transitors be found at radioshack or do I have to digikey everything?

5. I'm going to be spraying a wet 150hp shot on a ford 302. how many degrees of timing should I pull, I was thinking ~8-10 and running 2 steps colder plugs.

comments?
thanks
jesse
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Diode (5) is incorrect - it needs to be across the coil terminals not in series.

+5v and ground can be found on JP1, but you might be better using XG2 for ground.

Do install the master power and Wide Open Throttle switch in line with the nitrous circuit as in the original diagram. Otherwise at key-on there _may_ be an activation of the solenoid.

Yes, you can likely get the parts at any electronics place.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
onephatz
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by onephatz »

ok I got the output to work correctly, And got the input to trigger but I had to unhook the +5v lead or it wouldn't retard the timing. any idea why that would be.

otherwise it works just like it's supposed to. just fabed it up on some breadboard I had and stuck it to the top of the case with double sided 3m tape.

it also turns out that I was attaching the input wire to pin 6 from the bottom not the square on JP1.

thanks again james
jesse
jj07
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jj07 »

ok im trying to understand this but im a bit confused with the wiring going to the relay. i was under the impression that the signal out of the MS going to the relay was supposed to ground the relay. so is it a ground or is it a 12+?
onephatz
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by onephatz »

jj07 wrote:ok im trying to understand this but im a bit confused with the wiring going to the relay. i was under the impression that the signal out of the MS going to the relay was supposed to ground the relay. so is it a ground or is it a 12+?
you are correct. the transistor acts like a mini relay providing ground to larger relay. you still need +12v into the large relay to energize the coil inside the relay (to make it go click).

I actually brought power in from another fused source that goes thru a toggle switch and a full throttle switch before it even get to the relay.

I'll post up another drawing of exactly how mine looks like soon.

jesse
btw. I'm shooting a 150hp shot to my 302 ford and lovin every minute of it.
jj07
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jj07 »

i would appreciate that a lot i am trying to get things working asap i have an event i am hoping to compete in very shortly.