weird problem with 026h8 and 029q2

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

weird problem with 026h8 and 029q2

Post by dieselgeek »

Probably misconfig, but I am upgrading the firmware on the turbo truck tonight. We're moving from 024s13c to (first) 029q2, and had a strange fuel dropout issue at WOT, where PW1 is commanded to 0.0

We were able to make this happen on the stimulator with version 029q2, and we have a logfile picture of it (see attached).

We backed down to 026h8 and got the same problem. I keyed in the parameters by hand (instead of writing older .MSQs, possibly mangling my config) for each version. In one case, I missed the "overboost protection" but now I don't think it's overboost (set to 100, which seemed to disable overboost fuel cut).

I'm including the logfile and the .MSQ for version 026h8 but I can duplicate this in 029q2. Any thoughts to what I might be doing wrong?

-scott
Squirted: it's easier to list the ones I haven't squirted. I need to do more motorcycle engines!
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

026h8 .MSQ

http://www.neufamily.org/truck.msq

logfile, the dropout happens right near the nd of the file, while under boost:

http://www.neufamily.org/drop%206.xls
Squirted: it's easier to list the ones I haven't squirted. I need to do more motorcycle engines!
newtyres1
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by newtyres1 »

I loaded up 026h8 and your msq into a bench MS unit and got 98 warnings from your msq but none from the default msq (after I configured for degrees C). Looks like something very wrong with the msq, like your computer might have a windows version from the wrong country or something? - well maybe not that but all the units of measurement, temp, kPa etc are slightly different to what MT 2.25 wants e.g. "*F" instead of "F". When doing an msq from scratch you need to be connected to MS while you do it, from all I have read. If you aren't connected to MS and want to build up an msq from scratch you must load the default msq that comes with the code first, and then alter that msq by hand to do whatever you need. It's OK to import vex tables for fuel and spark though. Hope this helps.

Ian.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Ian

The msq loaded without error for me. I can see no reason for the responce the Scott is getting. It appears to me to be a interger math issue but I can't get it to do it in my stim. As an experment I had Scott multiply his entire VE by .75 and multiply he Reqfuel by 1.33 but no change other the error happened at a slightly different RPM. I noticed pw2 was uneffected in the log but he does not have duel channel turned on. I am not shure that means anything ??? I have Suggested to Scott to try turing off all of the ignition options and see what happens.

AW
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

newtyres1 wrote:I loaded up 026h8 and your msq into a bench MS unit and got 98 warnings from your msq but none from the default msq (after I configured for degrees C). Looks like something very wrong with the msq, like your computer might have a windows version from the wrong country or something? - well maybe not that but all the units of measurement, temp, kPa etc are slightly different to what MT 2.25 wants e.g. "*F" instead of "F". When doing an msq from scratch you need to be connected to MS while you do it, from all I have read. If you aren't connected to MS and want to build up an msq from scratch you must load the default msq that comes with the code first, and then alter that msq by hand to do whatever you need. It's OK to import vex tables for fuel and spark though. Hope this helps.

Ian.

Strange, on our config (latest megatune 2.25) it loads up without a single error onscreen or in the log. Perhaps the file was corrupted during it's trip overseas? :lol:

Definitely strange, although not a huge emergency. At some point in the near future we want to run 4 wasted spark outputs on this config; it'd be nice to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I can only think of one time where we ran into a glitch and it was an actual code bug (the VE*KPA thing), instead of user error. Will be interesting to see what this is for sure.

-scott
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

That is most odd.

Under what symptoms can you duplicate it on the stim? 4000rpm and 200kpa ?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

jsmcortina wrote:That is most odd.

Under what symptoms can you duplicate it on the stim? 4000rpm and 200kpa ?

James
We tried, and got it to happen on the stim with the MSQ I posted above.

I'm going to JIm's in the next hour or so, let me know what to do to duplicate it and we'll try again. Andy was unable to duplicate in 026h8, and I remember it took us a bit to get it to happen in 029q. Sometimes on a hard pull, PW doesn't drop out on us. I figured I'd try reflashing the firmware a third time, hand-entering the settings again, if that helped.

Let me know how you'd liuke us to test it James and I'll have it served up within 2 hours.

-scott
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I have tried 026h8 and your MSQ on the stim and do not see the PW drop to zero? What am I not doing to replicate it?

Shouldn't overboost be set to 255kpa ?

While the logs certainly show an issue they aren't fast enough to show all situations like this or the data around that incident to help investigate.

If you cann help me reproduce the effect on my stim I can dig deeper - at the moment I am stumped.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

jsmcortina wrote:I have tried 026h8 and your MSQ on the stim and do not see the PW drop to zero? What am I not doing to replicate it?

Shouldn't overboost be set to 255kpa ?

While the logs certainly show an issue they aren't fast enough to show all situations like this or the data around that incident to help investigate.

If you cann help me reproduce the effect on my stim I can dig deeper - at the moment I am stumped.

James
We wondered about overboost protection! Setting to 255 caused fuel cut at an indicated 253kpa. We are interested in DISABLING boost cut, so we tried setting it at 100kpa and it let us boost over 100kpa - so we assumed that's how to disable it. I wondered about the boost cut, we're set to FUel Cut for our hard limiter and it's doing what I'd expect it to do, only at different KPAs.
newtyres1
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by newtyres1 »

Here's a bit from the audit log file I got, maybe it will give someone a clue about what I saw.

"C:\Program Files\MegaSquirt\026h8\truck.msq:Open
WARNING(01): Signatures don't match.
Found in msq "MSnS-extra format 029q *********"
Expected from ini "MSnS-extra format 026h4*********"

WARNING(04): Constant "egoTemp1" units mismatch, "F" in msq, expected "°F" from ini.

WARNING(04): Constant "fastIdleT1" units mismatch, "F" in msq, expected "°F" from ini.

WARNING(04): Constant "egoTemp2" units mismatch, "F" in msq, expected "°F" from ini.

WARNING(04): Constant "fastIdleT2" units mismatch, "F" in msq, expected "°F" from ini.

Ian.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

you have the wrong ini file for the firmware on the MS.
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

well, we're not able to reproduce it on the stim. But I have a lot of examples of it happening while driving.

I flashed him back to 024s13 for the time being, and we don't have the problem anymore.

Thoghts/suggestions? we'd like to be on the latest megatune for sure,

-scott
newtyres1
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by newtyres1 »

Ken, I think I have the wrong msq for the ini file?
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

yeah I read the message wrong, it's the wrong msq for the ini.