Not getting any spark..

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mkehler
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Not getting any spark..

Post by mkehler »

New install of ms1 pcb3, 029i extra code. (previously had ms1 pcb2.2 fuel only running in the car for a year). Using VR sensor input, 60-2 decoder wheel option

I'm getting fuel, but no spark (pulled a spark plug). Verified that the coil is getting power.

Things I double checked

- -VR to pin 7 on MS
- +VR to pin 24 on MS
- pin15 on MS grounded
- shield on VR cable grounded
- -coil to pin 36 on MS
- + coil to +12v on fuelpump relay (again, verified coil is getting powered)
- spark setting set to inverted
- stim 'simulate wheel' option is OFF

The board built with jumper TACHSELECT to VRIN and jumper VROUTINV
to TSEL, VR sensor input, etc etc as per the docs.

RPM reading in Megatune is there, but seems weak, it reads about 150-160rpm. Cranking speed sounds normal.

Ideas for next steps? msq and datalog from trying to start it below

http://www.disimilar.com/megasquirt/

Matt
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

Matt, what's your ignition setup - is this a distributor or coilpacks?

Looks like your tach input is working OK, no spikes or dropouts when cranking. If you're using a distributor, perhaps it's phasing is off? (try attaching a plug right to the coil wire and bypass the disty, see if it's trying to trigger)

if coilpacks, maybe an LED tester on the outputs of the MS? let us know more details about your config if posible,

-scott
Squirted: it's easier to list the ones I haven't squirted. I need to do more motorcycle engines!
mkehler
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mkehler »

Its distributer, but I think I just figured it out (with 100% thanks to Petercip). I had the 330k ohm resister inline from the vb921 to the top of q6 instead of r26 (they are right beside each other).

Hopefully that does it! I guess I'll know in a couple hours when I get to my shop. Now I just have to figure out why my IAT circuit isn't working.

thanks
Matt
mkehler
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mkehler »

Yup, that was it! Ummm, along with the fact that I hadn't jumpered r43... (thanks Petecip!!)

Started right up, great feeling finally getting to the spark side of things and totally ditching the BMW motronic!

thanks
Matt