extra 29k timing skew problem w/60-2?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

linuxman51
Experienced MS/Extra'er

extra 29k timing skew problem w/60-2?

Post by linuxman51 »

After battling and losing (maybe, maybe not) the "normal trigger angle" battle with my hall effect distro, I switched to a flywheel mounted 60-2 last night and threw the car on the dyno to check and see where things were.

A buddy of mine watched the run with my timing light and asked me why I was running zero timing at the top of the rpm range, and I commented that its low, but it shouldn't be zero (~10 degrees or so actually), told him to re-check his stuff and watch it again, he said it did the same thing on the next run.

So I guess my question is such: would that fall under the category of a strange wheel reading (i.e. would swapping polarity on the vr decoder make a difference), even though the car runs and drives great otherwise until it gets above ~5800rpms, or is this a code bug and do I need to upgrade/downgrade?

The main reason I havent gone to 29q2 is I dont drive the car all that often anymore, its more of a weekend frustration vent.

fwiw it did alright on the dyno, 280-290 hp @ 1 bar with a quick tune tossed on it, when I go back on saturday with nitrous i expect it to be somewhere around 400, but I'd like to get an opinion/thoughts/solution on the timing issue.
Timing light is a digital snap-on, so hopefully its not the testing equipment (i'll cry)
12 years of ms-ing things up..
607whp volvo 740 (ms3pro)
1994 volvo 940 turbo L33+7875+ms3x
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Do you have a cheap and nasty timing light? I would be interested in whether that behaves the same. Some dialback lights have known problems with wasted spark and show the wrong timing.

029q was distributed with incorrect air temp calibration which will require a re-tune of the VE table. If you use custom sensors and Easytherm no problems.
029q2 is the same code but compiled with the right air temp sensor tables.

What trigger angle are you using?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
linuxman51
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by linuxman51 »

its not wasted spark (yet), I'm using the distributor to distribute the spark but the flywheel to determine timing (in effect, just unhooked the hall sensor inside the distro). I'll see on the nasty timing light.

Trigger angle is 67 degrees now (it was 4 with the hall effect sensor), i think the max advance anywhere on the map is only like 40 way off in vaccum at higher rpms.
12 years of ms-ing things up..
607whp volvo 740 (ms3pro)
1994 volvo 940 turbo L33+7875+ms3x