MSI v3 Tach spikes! (log attached)

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

etx
MS/Extra Newbie

MSI v3 Tach spikes! (log attached)

Post by etx »

Hey guys.

So im still trying to get my v3 working. I'm on a 420a Neon motor with the newest version of the msns-e code (q2). The v3 MS was working when I was using the VR input for the crank signal. BUT it would backfire and reset the MS under boost. So I switched to the Hall/Opto setup by following the instructions on the MSNS-e web site and now I'm getting Tach spikes. At idle they are not bad, it's mostly under load. The car will cutout and the MS will reset, please see the attached log file. My v2.2 board MS works flawlessly, So i'm pretty sure it's the MS v3 that is the issue. I've also see a few posts on 2gnt.com about this problem, but no mention of a solution. Please help! I've got to make it to the DSM shootout in 2 weeks and I took today and monday off work to try to get it running. Thanks!

http://www.etherealdesign.com/datalog200607281322.xls

Dodge 420a turbo (MSNS-E) | Nissan VQ35DE Twin Turbo | Nissan VQ30T
AlHounos
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by AlHounos »

Are you running low impedance injectors? Does it get worse at higher injector duty cycles?

That was how mine was, and I dropped in some high impedance injectors and the problem went away.
etx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by etx »

Well, I'm running low imp injectors and that's why I wanted to upgrade to the v3 board with the built in flyback circuit. I am using PWM on the v2.2 board and it's fine. If I need to use high imp injectors i guess it defeats the purpose.

I was curious about the PWM settings on the v3, I got it down to about 48% now on the v3 whereas the v2.2 was at about 70%
etx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by etx »

No idea guys? This is killing me :(
TV Super Bee
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TV Super Bee »

I was getting tach spikes/resets too. To solve this I removed the XG1/XG2 jumper, ran a wire from XG1 to pin6 (Tach shield) and then grounded the shield at the distributor. This mod gives a seporate ground input for the opto isolator. After this mod ALL resets were gone.
MS1 V3.0 MSnS-e029q2
1969 Dodge Super Bee
383 EFI dual 65mm throttle bodies, 36lb injectors
"AS SEEN ON TV"
www.moparalley.org/gallery/hollywood
etx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by etx »

Ah cool, thanks for the relpy. How would I implement this on the MS v3 board with the neon crank decoder mods? My XG2-XG1 jumper is already removed. Based on the wireing diagram at http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/setup-neon.html I'm not really sure what to do.
TV Super Bee
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by TV Super Bee »

Not sure how to implement in your situation. As your crank trigger is supplying this ground. Is your crank trigger wires (2) shielded? If not, use shield and ground at the same point as MS main ground. In your case I would try the "Dave Cap" and see if this helps. If not try to reverse the polarity of the crank trigger, some poles on magnets are screwy. Route your trigger wires away from the coil and ignition boxes. If your trigger wires are a twisted pair, you can try to twist them the other direction. In rare cases, twisted pairs can cause a reverse emf with a pulsating DC traveling on the wire.
1969 Dodge Super Bee
383 EFI dual 65mm throttle bodies, 36lb injectors
"AS SEEN ON TV"
www.moparalley.org/gallery/hollywood
etx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by etx »

Hrm, ok i'll give the Dave cap a try. I can't find any info on it other than this http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/mwire.htm#ignition which seems to only apply to the v2.2 board.