absolutely despriate mustang msns-e tried everything!!!

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

95roush
MS/Extra Newbie

absolutely despriate mustang msns-e tried everything!!!

Post by 95roush »

Hello Guys, well so far things have been good, up to this point.
my combo is a 95 mustang NA 306 cubic inch with 24 lb injectors @ 38 psi using an 87-93 distributor, no difference to the 95 except for the location of tfi. running an msd 6al with matching coil, plug gap at .037"
The MS1 with the msns-e code 029q running and using pwm idle control, currently not plugged in.

I'm not 100% where my dizzy is +/- of tdc but should be fairly close.
I'm assuming the hp and torque of the motor to be 380 hp 440 fl-lb with a redline @ 6500 for now.

the cam is large, custom for drag racing/street fun

These are the problems

I cannot get the car to start and idle at all, the car cranks, cranks, fires then either backfires and quits or just quits within a second of releasing the starter. I would really apprecaite some direction on where to look or what should be set where, I have been following instructions from everywhere possible to try and get it to start, so far I have had nothing but trouble and its been many days of trying repeatedly and failing, and on an on, I am new to tuning, but not to cars and electronics, something just doesn't make sense and I'm almost at my pateince threshold which is fairly large.

If anyone at all can help, please I have a few posts, but it seems they are getting avoided like the plague, so I have been just trying and trying and can't continue to do it, I won't have a started left!

PLEASE HELP ME

thanks
Jesse
Tommy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tommy »

What kind off TFI module are you using push start or computer controled dwell? Symtoms sound simmilar to what I got when trying use MS to controll dwell on a push start module. Have you used 50% dwell setting?

Tommy
95roush
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95roush »

I'm using the ford style tfi, its on the msd dizzy, but still oem compatible. I beleive this is a push start type.

the setting is also at 50% duty cycle
Tommy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tommy »

Have you tried to remove the SPOUT wire and get it running in limp home mode?
95roush
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95roush »

this is another question, if I removed the spout there would be no signal at all going to the msd, so I haven't figured out how to do this, would I run a switch that would choose spout from the tfi and spout from the megasquirt on one side and the points trigger on the other??
Tommy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tommy »

The TFI module should be reciving a signal from the trigger sensor (hall) at all times, this is the PIP, this should go to both MS and TFI. The SPOUT should only run from the MS to the TFI, when you disconect this the TFI should use the PIP signal to generate a fixed 10Deg limp home ignition timing.
95roush
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95roush »

this is not how I have it set up, right now on the distributor thats where the tfi module is, not remote anymore, the pip(1) goes to pin 24 ign, pin 2 spout goes to nothing, pin 3 start 12v only in start, pin 4 to 12v run & start, pin 5 tach/idm goes to nothing, pin 6 is grounded.

the ms spout pin 36 goes to msd 6al points trigger
Tommy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tommy »

Have you set MS to run in Distributor (MSnS) mode?
95roush
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95roush »

yes, its set to msns, the led 17 is spark output a, filde is idle control, led 18 is irq trigger, led 19 is acceleration.
95roush
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95roush »

is there anyone who could lend me a .msq file for a mustang?

or could do one for me, jj, I could use any help please
95roush
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95roush »

anyone???, still don't have anything else to try, or something to look for, would loading the default 029q firmware ,and just change the bare min for my combination work you think?

thanks Jesse
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

95roush wrote:anyone???, still don't have anything else to try, or something to look for, would loading the default 029q firmware ,and just change the bare min for my combination work you think?
This can often be the best starting point. The VE table is derived from the original MS1 table and the spark table is a relatively "safe" table we worked ok. It should get you going.

Have you confirmed with a strobe what timing you are getting during cranking? Disconnect the injector fuses so it doesn't start.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
95roush
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95roush »

james, I went ahead and dumped the values, but where can I get the defualt settings, is there a .msq file I can load

I will verify with a timing light where my timing is at, but should be close to 22 degrees, ten on the dizzy and 12 in the table I had.

thanks

Jesse
Tommy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tommy »

In spark settings you can enter a fixed advance to be sure what advance you should have.

Tommy
FoundSoul
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by FoundSoul »

If the table says 12, it should be at 12, not 10+12. If it's not then you need to set your base timing before going any further. What the MegaTune display says your timing should be should match what you read with a timing light exactly... If not then fix that before going any further for sure...
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
Founder DIYAutoTune.com / AMPEFI.com

The DIY EFI Tuners Guide – How to Install, Configure, and Tune EFI!

Killer Products We've Brought to Life:
MS3Pro, MSPNP and MS3Pro PNP
More info on MSPNP Models
MicroSquirt AMP'd!
95roush
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95roush »

how can I get the default values back in the program, I will change the timing so that the dizzy is @ 0 degrees.

when I open megatune now I get all empty tables, not too sure if I want to uninstall the program and do it that way.
FoundSoul
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by FoundSoul »

If you want to reload all of the defaults that the ECU came with you could reflash the firmware....

If you have an .msq saved from prior to changing anything you could just reload that without the need to reflash anything...
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
Founder DIYAutoTune.com / AMPEFI.com

The DIY EFI Tuners Guide – How to Install, Configure, and Tune EFI!

Killer Products We've Brought to Life:
MS3Pro, MSPNP and MS3Pro PNP
More info on MSPNP Models
MicroSquirt AMP'd!
95roush
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95roush »

I don't have any of the previous ones saved, so if someone here has one, that would be awesome, or I can just reload the firmware.

can I post my .msq for you guys to look at for all the other settings?

I don't know how to put it one here though, do you need to host the file somewhere?
Tommy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tommy »

In my 029q2 folder there are some defult MSQ files, are these the ones you are looking for? Do you have them or should I email them to you?

Also at http://www.extraefi.co.uk/software/Config_Files.zip there is a MSQ named TFI_MSD you could have a look at the spark settings in that.
95roush
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95roush »

please email them, that would be awesome, I will also check out the link.

thankyou very much.

Jerry I'm sending you an email of my msq I thought maybe you could take a glance at and see if I have any major issues.

thankyou everyone in helping me out, its much apprecaited.

Jesse