Ignition options for a BMW v12 engine

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

qadir03
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Ignition options for a BMW v12 engine

Post by qadir03 »

Going to be using MegaSquirt as a complete engine management for this v12. I have a couple options that I am thinking about and want to get you guys opinion on what is best.

Option 1:
Use Dual EDIS as talked about in the thread below:
http://www.msefi.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... hlight=v12

Option 2:
Use the wheel decoder for the 60-2 and use the 6ign outputs to drive a wasted spark setup. Anyone actually have used all 6 outputs?

I am still researching and trying to understand how this all would work so anyone who has experience with a v12 with ign control please let me know. One thing that is a must is to get rid of the distributor.

Thanks
qadir03
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by qadir03 »

AnttiHu wrote:.... the thing here is the rpm aka. pip signal to ms, I experienced with it and had some problems runnind ms in dual-edis mode, ms saw the engine rpm as half of the real rpm, so I throw together an logic to use pip-signal from both of the modules and voila, it's working.

There is more than those 2 options if you want to start experimenting.
Another really good alternative for complicated setup is running ms in 6 cylinder mode, using only the pip signal from one edis-boxes, i tried this and it's also working ok.
What did you mean by throwing together a logic? Did you have to do some coding or did you just combine both pip from each module into pin 24?

And when you ran the single pip on 6cylinder mode, did you just use the same saw signal into both the modules?

Do you happen to have images of your crank wheel setup?

Thanks,