now its brokens one for jamscortina me thinks

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

bens_cab
Experienced MS/Extra'er

now its brokens one for jamscortina me thinks

Post by bens_cab »

hope you see this james just need some advice

using 029q2 msns extra i was running coil on plug but was struggling lots so ive removed them and got a single wasted spark coilpack from a peugeot 306 sagem jobby

did the usual tested the resistance between the 4 pins and worked out this

pin 1 signal
pin 2 signal
pin 3 live 12v
pin 3 bolted to head with radio suppressor

using led 17 and 19 as spark outputs A and B

had a problem where my fuel pump started pumping every second or so re burned the msq and this stopped getting a good spark on 2 cylinders but not on the other 2

both leds were working when i first tried to test spark now i have noticed led 19 isnt lighting at all looked in the ecu and the vb921s look fine no obvious problem with the board

could this be related to the fuel pump problem i was having this seemed to be ok when i re burned the msq to the ecu i did get an error before i burned of expected msns-extra 029q2 received sns-extra 029q2

do i need to change anything in the ecu as i have 4x vb921s 2x paired for each output

i also notice that at one point when testing for spark it would give me a costant spark for a second or so when i let off the key ? could that be dwell
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The fuel pump on/off/on/off indicates a config error.
Open up Megatune and the Communications mini-terminal then power off, power on the Megasquirt and it will print a message saying why it thinks there is an error.

Receiving partial strings is more usually a com-port problem or usb-converter problem.

Go over your wheel decoder and spark outputs

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
bens_cab
Experienced MS/Extra'er

config

Post by bens_cab »

ive sorted the config error i reburned the msq

im using the usb converter but have had no problems until now i have all my spark outputs correct using A and B to fire the coil what i did notice is that the spark i did get seemed to hold for a second or so when the key was let off

at that point both the spark leds were working

im using msns dizzy mode
generic wheel
spark inverted yes

i was using coil on plugs which i was having loads of problems with them retarding im just wondering now weather as i have fitted a single coil the original problem has shown its self in a different way

should any of my settings be different now im using a different coilpack
bens_cab
Experienced MS/Extra'er

rpm

Post by bens_cab »

ive just noticed while cranking the engine by rpm only goes to 95 its allways been 300 to 500 rpm before
the battery good so not sure why this has started to happen

all these problems have only started since i replaced the cop with a sigle coilpack

did the mini terminal test and it came back blank
IvarS
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by IvarS »

What engine are you running this setup on? Is it a Motronic 60-2? If so, what trigger settings do you have?
bens_cab
Experienced MS/Extra'er

hmm`

Post by bens_cab »

hi mate my trigers are

A 5
AR 14
B 35
BR 44

im pretty sure its not my car think its the code 029q2 although no one has had problems with it i think iam

another guy using 029q2 had the exact same problem as me where his would advance ona fixed angle of ten he changed code and the problem went away
IvarS
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by IvarS »

I'm running 60-2 on a previous Motronic 1.3 setup Peugeot Mi16 engine.

Trigger angle 60 degrees
A 10
AR 18
B 40
BR 48

Works perfectly for me with a 306/Xsara coil with spark output A and B (led 17 and 19).
bens_cab
Experienced MS/Extra'er

triggers

Post by bens_cab »

hi mate the triggers are not the problem the car starts and run fine on light load soon as i load it a bit it giving me to much adavance or retsard
bens_cab
Experienced MS/Extra'er

wierd stuf

Post by bens_cab »

ok i took a good msq i had saved to my hardrive and burned it to the ecu

when i started to look at my settings they are all over the place and nothing like the msq i burned its giving me all kind of spark outputs ignition options

no required fuel ect ect

so what would cause a good msq to turn corrupt by burning it to the ecu

i am using the usb converter but up till now ive had no problems with it at all
keithmac
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by keithmac »

I`d start again with the default 029q2 .msq and re-enter all your settings, also make sure you`re running the release version of MegaTune?.
Squirted VW GTI 16vG60 mk2
bens_cab
Experienced MS/Extra'er

code

Post by bens_cab »

yeah did that didnt make any difference so either my ecu is corrupt or my usb serial cable has decided to do some funky stuff

ive got 2 copies of the same msq 1 before i burned and 1 after and the difference is amazing even i couldnt change that many settings that quick :lol: :lol:

as for my leds not lighting they came back on then went of again definatly somw kind of poltergeist possesing my ecu
Brad-Man
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Brad-Man »

I will be interested to hear if it is the USB/Serial connector/converter.

In a way, I hope that's what it is - more fuel for getting rid of serial connection....
bens_cab
Experienced MS/Extra'er

hmm thats not so good

Post by bens_cab »

did the mini terminal thing again cos my fuel pump started going for it again and it said the following in the whole window

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

i sure there was a smiley there to taking the mickey :lol: only joking

how cool is that lol think i may have a usb issue reflashed the ecu and reloaded mt used a good msq i had saved and i get that

the starngest thing is that my leds lit up with igniton to and stayed on well on and off with the fuel pump every second i must have one major conflict going on somewhere :lol: :lol: :lol: