EDIS and resistor plugs

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Heribert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

EDIS and resistor plugs

Post by Heribert »

I have made a test setup with an EDIS 8 , two coil packs , 8 plugs and an electric motor variable from 0-8000 rpm that drives a 36-1/VRpickup kit .
Works great . Spark plug wires ar 15 cm only in copper and the experiments clearly shows that resistor plugs ( or maybe resistor ignition leads , which I have not tried ) are an absolute must .
Running 4 resistor plugs ( AGPS 22 C1 ) and four standard plugs gives erratic performance with frequent spark misses. It also appears that it can block the EDIS totally , and I have had to " reset " EDIS by switching off power when all sparking died.
With only resistor plugs EDIS is rock steady , SAW output square wave totally stable and also pin 2 o EDIS that sends out a short pulse per spark is stable . Current to EDIS measured by an analog Ameter is rock steady
When running with no resistance plugs SAW and pin 2 signals flutter and and current to EDIS dips .
When EDIS locks up signal on SAW remains high ( +12V) although input signal from VR sensor is perfect .
In my setup , powered by a stable 15 A 14,2 V power supply max rpm was 6700 , above that spark output as judged by sparking sound started to drop off .
Have no reliable way to measure spark voltage , would need a HV probe for the scope .
Heribert
Last edited by Heribert on Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
superchargingmachine
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by superchargingmachine »

Good info! So are you using solid core wires? I just wanted to be clear on this one as I thought this was a big no no because of noise or something? It would seem that resistor plugs cure the prob if thats the case.

Any chance of posting a picture of your setup?
Minami Kotaro
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Minami Kotaro »

superchargingmachine wrote:So are you using solid core wires? I just wanted to be clear on this one as I thought this was a big no no because of noise or something? It would seem that resistor plugs cure the prob if thats the case.
I also use solid copper wire with resistor plugs on my EDIS.
1967 VW Beetle
2276 cc
v3.57 board, MSNS-e 029v, EDIS
Check out my ongoing story.
camrsz
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by camrsz »

whats the part number on the edis8 module? I have resiter plugs and copper core plug wires but still not able to rev past 6200 rpms
Heribert
Helpful MS/Extra'er

EDIS part nr

Post by Heribert »

Hi camrsz,
The EDIS 8 part number in my test set up is F4SF 12K072 AA 4C15A

The coil packs have different part numbers but are electrically identical
The one coil pack is part number E9FT 12029 AA
The other is different but the 12029 is the same
Primary resistance is 0,52 ohm and primary inductance is 7,65 mH
Secondary resistance is 13,5 +- 0,3 kiloohms

The resistor plugs/wires probably has no influence on the max rpm , but are needed for the EDIS to function correctly .

It may be that different EDIS modules have different max rpm , the one I tested started to peter out at 6700 rpm and stopped at 6900 rpm .

Heribert