Tach spikes - seems common but no easy fix

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

DeneOehme
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Tach spikes - seems common but no easy fix

Post by DeneOehme »

MS 2.2 board running latest MSnS code, MSD6a

With my MS running fuel only I get one or two tach spikes at about 5 grand but otherwise all ok.

When running spark as well I get tack spikes all over the place and the thing's basically undrivable.

What is the common cause of tach spikes and what have people done in the past to get rid of the problem?

I've searched these forums - tried grounding to the same point and using shielded wire. No better. It seems like this is a common, frustrating problem that no-one knows definatively how to fix or prevent. Some things works for some people and not others. It also seems to be more prevelant in using MSnS than the standard fuel only code.

Dene
DeneOehme
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DeneOehme »

I take it by the lack of replies that this is a quagmire that no-one really knows about.

Surely someone has fixed this who can help??

Dene
rebel2k4
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rebel2k4 »

I had a huge issue with them on my 2.2 board (though now on the 3.0 board it has turned into a reset issue instead). I added a 4.7 uf (trust me, I tried TONS before I found that one to work) cap on the pullup resistor and the problem was almost eliminated.

What are you using for a tach sig? I had a hall sensor, seems that those are notorious for tach spikes
94 Mazda MX-3 V6: MS'n'S, 550cc injectors, 395 whp 397 ft lbs @ 15 psi boost
DeneOehme
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DeneOehme »

When you say the pull-up resitor which one is that? Do you just add this cap in parallel with the resitor?

Using a VE sensor and 4 pin ignition module.

Dene
DeneOehme
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DeneOehme »

Following is a jpeg of a datalog. Note the unevenness of the tach signal even whjen there are no actual spikes. Is this aproblem?

Dene
DeneOehme
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DeneOehme »

Sorry - forgot to attached the jpeg
thechuckster
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thechuckster »

to get rid of noise on my VR input i ran shielded cable right up to the sensor and connecting the shield to the (-) trace in the cabin where it enters an external box with the VR interface.

Ended up doing similar thing with the O2 signal from relay board to ECU (single wire with shield, earthed at ECU DB37 conenctor only) and TPS from engine to relay board (as it ran in the same tray as the injector wiring).

Most frustating part was locating shielded cable with three traces (for the TPS) - ended up recycling soem wiring out of an old Toyota Soarer wiring loom.

cheers,
Charles.
RA40 + 18R + Turbo
MZ10 + 7MGE = track barge!
newtyres1
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by newtyres1 »

Looks like 1 spike in the tach signal (which didn't affect the fuel - except for the smaller negative spike on the rhs) and 2 big spikes in the duty cycle to me. What's causing the duty cycle spikes, accel enrichment?

Ian.
DeneOehme
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by DeneOehme »

That's what I'd like to know. It shouldn't be accell enrichment because my foot was flat to the boards for a good five seconds or more before those spikes. Do you think the wavering/unevenness of the tach signal is normal though? It should just be a steady smooth increase in revs up to 6000 not all the little bumps and valleys all the way.

Dene