Problem with spark

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

happythoughts47
MS/Extra Newbie

Problem with spark

Post by happythoughts47 »

I have a ver. 2.2 MS with the mods to run spark in a neon, and using a external mitsu ignitor.
The car was running good on msns-e ver. 24s9. I then deceided to run 29q2 and the newest Megatune. I reflashed the firmware. I then forgot to set the spark to non-invertered. I tried starting the car. I then noticed the mistake and changed it. After this I can only get the car to run off 2 cyclinders.
The middle led on the MS blinks when I crank the car. The other 2 (17,19) stay on solid while cranking or blink so fast it pretty much looks solid.

What could be the problem? I tried using my old hei4 ignitors and the car still only started on the same to cyclinders. It seems like the outputs on the MS is dead. What should I look for? Any idea's?
happythoughts47
MS/Extra Newbie

Bump
Anybody have any idea's what could be the problem? Or what to test?
How would I find out if the MS outputs are working properly?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Try loading back your old firmware, settings and Megatune etc.

That will at least confirm if it is configuration or hardware.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
1seymour
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 1seymour »

check to see if you're getting spark.. i blew a fuse to one of my injector banks due to my pwm settings getting reset when i updated firmware.

also, what is the 3rd led configured to display?
1983 datsun 280zx turbo
ms v3 running msns-e 029q2
input: optical
output: vb921
injectors: pwm
happythoughts47
MS/Extra Newbie

I tried the old firmware and software. No luck.
I have led 17 is spark, 18 is trigger return, 19 is spark output b

I tried a new j-yard ignitor and that one was burnt. I got no spark at all. Went back to my other ignitor and it started wiring on 2 cyclinders again.

I tried switching x11 and the coil wire to the other side of the ignitor, to test both sides of the ignitor and it won't work. I also tried using the x12 output to the 1 known good side of the ignitor, also no spark.

There is 4 ways to hook it up to test spark, and only one way produces spark. So to me it looks like there is half the ignitor that is bad, and 1 MS output.

What should I look at first? What is most likely burnt? Nothing looks burnt and the leds light up.