Can EGO cause a surging feeling?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

itguy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Can EGO cause a surging feeling?

Post by itguy »

Hi All

Just been out in the car and did a run with EGO disabled so I could get VE analyser to do the map without it, and to be honest, the car ran really well with it disabled and the map didn't change all that much so I think it was nearly there anyway.

When I re-enabled EGO, the car feels like its surging between 1000 and 2000 rpm at light MAP (40-70kpa) but the VE table hasn't changed much there.

I don't recall having this feeling with EGO disabled, so I just wondered if there's some kind of 'swing' tendancy or something that might make it feel like this...

I can attach datalog if required but the AFR looked stable enough
screamer69
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by screamer69 »

i found that with mine i always run it with it off but that was down to my wideband packing up on me so i decided to leave it off but reasently i had it switched back on and i had the same thing so i messed around with the settings a bit and it stopped it off the top of my head i carnt remember the settings i messed around with but i shall be out with the laptop later and ill have a look i think it was the % or something along the lines was really big number
2.0 8v turbo 10.7 standing 1/4@136mph on m/s fastest mk2 astra 8vt in europe !!!
2.0 turbo tigra 10.1 standing 1/4 @ 145 mph with problems :( havent turned the boost up yet
itguy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by itguy »

Interesting - I've got my EGO set to 25% so thats a pretty big number.

I wonder if it needs to be more like 5 to 10% max.

It tends to be a problem for me when I've just initiated AE so I wonder if the EGO was running at a large percentage, then it resets to 0% due to the AE and then it has to work back upto the percentage it had before?

Time for me to study the logs I think!
screamer69
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by screamer69 »

ive just looked at mine as ive changed to the high res code and mines set at 5%

25 seems a lot but maybe im wrong
2.0 8v turbo 10.7 standing 1/4@136mph on m/s fastest mk2 astra 8vt in europe !!!
2.0 turbo tigra 10.1 standing 1/4 @ 145 mph with problems :( havent turned the boost up yet
itguy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by itguy »

yes, 25% is quite a bit but I've only been tuning it for about a week or so.

I've been looking at the log and it looks like its the decel thats the problem and whats kicking the EGO correction back to 100%.

I might try disabling that for the time being and then see what happens...
daxtojeiro
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by daxtojeiro »

I would guess that the reason its hunting is down to its correcting too frequently, whats the Ignition Events set to? I usually set the 4 cy cars to 20ish and have it set to Ign Pulses rather than mSec's
Phil
http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra ... _Index.htm for MS1 Extra Manuals
http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/ for MS2-Extra Manuals
http://www.extraefi.co.uk/cobra/accobra.htm 5.0L TVR powered Cobra Replica (MSnS-E)
itguy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by itguy »

Its set to 25 ignition events and is already set to ignition pulses, step size 1%, max 25%

I've just swapped over from TPSdot to MAPdot AE to see if that might help too, might give me a bit more of a stable and reliable AE, as on my logs it shows that the AE is triggering far too often... I think I had the v/sec on the TPSdot set to 0.7 so it may be that that was too low too.