resets out the wazoo... even with the engine NOT running

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

242ATL
Experienced MS/Extra'er

resets out the wazoo... even with the engine NOT running

Post by 242ATL »

Guys,

Got the msns-e in and running on my Volvo with 029q, v2.2 board, running wasted spark using the wheel decoder, 60-2 wheel, volvo vr sensor, error daughter card with the lm1815 vr sensor conditioner, using LED17 and LED19 to fire two vb921's which fire a DSM coilpack.

It runs. It idles, I can even drive it and tune it.

[size=18]However[/size], I am getting resets out the freaking wazoo!!! We're talking 150-200 resets in a 30 minute session.

I am getting resets with the engine running [b]AND[/b] with the engine [b]not[/b] running, ie, just 12v switched power to the MS box.

I have installed a noise filter between the main relay and the MS box... to no avail.

I have yet to run a direct 12v line from the battery to the main relay for 12v constant.

Now... check out these plots.... I did a datalog with just the MS computer on, with the engine off... the excel plot is of datalog time versus rpm/100. Note the frequency the resets (to be shown next). However, in the datalog, ONLY THE LAST THREE ENTRIES were actually marked RESETS in the datalog.... the others were just weird spikes. (but everything else across the board spiked too... I just picked RPM/100)
[img]http://i.pbase.com/g4/75/540175/3/65235985.SlW1AFpG.jpg[/img]

Now take a look at the actual datalog time that the "events" occurred... about 5 or 10 seconds between each reset.... pretty regular.
[img]http://i.pbase.com/o4/75/540175/1/65236 ... tchart.JPG[/img]

any ideas? I'd really really appreciate them at this point. :)

many many thanks.

Mike
Last edited by 242ATL on Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newtyres1
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by newtyres1 »

It looks like you have interruptions to the 12V feeding the MS. You probably won't see that with a multimeter, but if you wire an LED in series with a 560 ohm resistor across the 12V at the MS then you would probably see it. If the 12V looks OK I would try reflashing the code. If that doesn't work I would see what it does connected to the stim and a different computer. Are you using a USB/serial adapter?

Ian.
242ATL
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 242ATL »

Hello Ian,

thanks for the tip. I do appreciate it.

Are you referring to the 12v switched line going into the box? or the 12v supply on the MS board?

I currently have this connected via a usb connector.... I will also recheck with a stim.

regards,

Mike
newtyres1
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by newtyres1 »

242ATL wrote: Are you referring to the 12v switched line going into the box? or the 12v supply on the MS board?
At the end of the day they should be the same thing, but what I would be testing for is a solid continuous 12V on the MS PCB. Probably easier to pull the MS out and put it on the stim so maybe do that first. You could also just put the LED on the switched 12V line too, if that showed a fault then it would point you in the right direction.

Ian.
242ATL
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 242ATL »

hell yeah. (that's "southern" for cool) Will do.

Thanks Ian.

I'll report back with my findings.

regards,

Mike
242ATL
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 242ATL »

Well, I tried the LED probing with the laptop connected, megatune running and listening for the telltale beep I get when it resets...

... and nothing... the LED was solidly lit at all times... I probed my 12v constant, 12v switched, the 12v Vcc on C17, all solid and no flashing

I also probed 5v positive at R9, on my daugter card, etc.

This was also with my newly installed direct link 12v cable from the battery to the main relay.

All told, about 30 resets in several minutes.

I also reflashed 029q2 with the same results.

I haven't hooked it up to a stim yet because I don't own one... I hope to this weekend.

any thoughts?

regards,

Mike
newtyres1
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by newtyres1 »

Can you borrow a laptop with a serial port and try that?

Ian.
242ATL
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 242ATL »

newtyres1 wrote:Can you borrow a laptop with a serial port and try that?

Ian.
Well, I spent a chunk of the weekend testing... borrowed a stim, got resets... tried a second USB-serial adapter, still got resets. I was starting to get worried, but the common denominator in all of it was the USB adapter...

finally get a chance to hook my box up to a computer with a serial port... my desktop in my office... guess what? NO RESETS!... not even a tach hiccup like I was getting before. :D :yeah!:

Ian, I really do appreciate your help.

Any suggestions for where to go now? I am contemplating picking up a cheap older laptop WITH a serial port already... but what about PCMCIA serial adapter? do you expect I'll see the same problems? I suppose it's worth the $20 to find out.

Again, many thanks.

Mike