I am having trouble loading 029s

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

djjohnj25
MS/Extra Newbie

I am having trouble loading 029s

Post by djjohnj25 »

I have just finished wiring my engine harness. I have MS1 v3 and I am trying to load the MSNS-Extra to run a 6 cyl. BMW with a 60-2 vr firing a coil to distributor. I can open Megatune and set it to MS1 and then go to communication settings and sucessfully talk to the MS. I then open the MS1 turn off power and stick a wire between the boot holes. I double click the download it opens a dos window and I select the correct com port I select yes for upgrading code... turn it back on and prees to start it then displays... download failed expected response "boot>" but received this ".ot" I have opened the case on my MS1 and I am looking at the holes labeled "boot" and the do not appear to connect to anything. At this point I could use some help. I did NOT build my MS1 so my knowledge of the assemly is limited. I can wait to get this baby running.
renns
Site Admin

Post by renns »

You must close MegaTune completely prior to attempting this, or there will be a serial port conflict. Check that you didnt just minimize it.
1979 Mazda RX-7, running MSnSExtra hi-res 09c for fuel and spark control on a turbocharged, intercooled, and (of course!) injected 13B rotary.
djjohnj25
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by djjohnj25 »

I just retried it and made sure the only thing running was windows explorer. It still fails. I did notice that when I turn on the MS1 without the jumper the middle led lights up and stays on for a few seconds. With the jumper in place the led never comes on. Help??
djjohnj25
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by djjohnj25 »

I just tried to load the firmware with out the jumper and I get a slightly different error .....download failed expected response "boot>" but received this ""
renns
Site Admin

Post by renns »

djjohnj25 wrote:I just retried it and made sure the only thing running was windows explorer. It still fails. I did notice that when I turn on the MS1 without the jumper the middle led lights up and stays on for a few seconds. With the jumper in place the led never comes on. Help??
The led's are normally off in bootloader mode, so it sounds like you are shorting the jumper correctly. Try connecting via Hyperterminal, and report your results. The instructions for that method are here:

i. On the PC, find and run HyperTerminal (Hyperterminal is usually under Start/Programs/Accessories/Communications, but if it is not there then search for a file called “hyperterm.exe”).
If you do not have HyperTerminal installed, you can get it from Hilgraeve, who wrote the original for Microsoft Windows. HyperTerminal Private Edition (HTPE) is what you want, and it's free for personal use.

ii. When Hyperterm appears, click on the red telephone icon, and enter a save file name (anything you want, say, "megasquirt").

iii. When the "Connect To" dialog comes up, select under the "Connect Using" option the COM port to which the DB-9 cable is connected, i.e., COM1 or COM2. Do not worry about any of the other settings. Click OK.

iv. Next, a dialog window opens with baud rate, stop bits, etc. Set the values as follows: Baud Rate: 9600, Data Bits: 8, Stop Bits: 1, Flow Control: None. Then click OK.

HyperTerminal now is up and "connected."

Power cycle your MS with the bootloader jumpered, and hit 'enter' on the keyboard. You should see the boot prompt "Boot>" appear in the hyperterminal window. If you see that prompt, then you've entered bootloader mode successfully, and the batch file should work fine. If you don't see the 'Boot>' prompt, hit enter a couple more times, and report back what if anything is seen on the screen.
1979 Mazda RX-7, running MSnSExtra hi-res 09c for fuel and spark control on a turbocharged, intercooled, and (of course!) injected 13B rotary.
djjohnj25
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by djjohnj25 »

Ok I got it to work using the MSII downloader, not the one that opens the dos prompt. Thank you for your help. Now the fun really begins. I do have another question. When you make changes in say the "constant" and you burn to ecu do you get some kind of confirmation?
renns
Site Admin

Post by renns »

If you used the MSII downloader, then you have an MSII box, not MS1 as you indicated eariler. There are no confirmations when burning, other than in the tuning screen, where you see a "Table burned to flash" message in the black text box on the lower right.

Good luck with the install, and have fun tuning!

Roger.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

renns wrote:If you used the MSII downloader, then you have an MSII box, not MS1 as you indicated eariler.
Not true actually, Eric made the later versions of the downloader work with MS1 or MS2.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
renns
Site Admin

Post by renns »

Then why didn't the downloader packaged with your batch file work???
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Some people have problems with the DOS mode on their computers with environment space or something? This prevents the choice.com from working and the batch file gets messed up. I have not seen this first hand but it has been reported here once or twice.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
renns
Site Admin

Post by renns »

Yeah, seems odd to me. I tried to make sense of this clue, but had no luck:
download failed expected response "boot>" but received this ".ot"
That download batch routine has certainly simplified the upgrade for most folks though. I thought at one point the Hyperterminal instructions were in the MegaManual, but they didn't turn up when I searched. I grabbed that bit I quoted from the serial loopback test. In any case, he's on to the next step!

Roger.
djjohnj25
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by djjohnj25 »

Thank you both for your help. I am sure I will have more questions really soon.