Weird idle - sounds like a quick reset sort of but is not

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Weird idle - sounds like a quick reset sort of but is not

Post by Jon k »

Hey guys, I have a MSnS-E 029s on MS-1 v3 running wasted spark A B and C on a BMW. The car starts and idles around 1200 with no idle control valve (have to close off the throttle body some more). I got it to run around 14.0:1 at idle. If I look at the LEDs (spark is on the LEDs) it looks like a quick "shut off" on the LEDs but then again its too hard to tell. I adjusted the warm up settings down some because it was running like 12:1 idle. I am still fine tuning it but I wanted to know if this is something to be alarmed about.

I have a datalog on my laptop, will post in a minute.

Also hear is an audio file of it idling - notice the quick drop in tone. Also, the AFRs go real lean at that point.
http://e34.digital7.com/runningturbo.wav
sportage4x4
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sportage4x4 »

sounds like the MS is dropping spark events. log the tooth counts, see if its loosing sync with the missing tooth.

more info on the setup would be nice, like stock VR sensor?, stock wiring harness? etc.
1990 Mazda Miata: GM Gen3 V8 swap, 4.8L, custom cam, 2x GT2860R turbos, MS3 + MS3X.
2003 Kia Rio wagon: Mazda B6T/G25MR swap, Miata CAS, IHI RHF5 @ 2bar, LSx truck coils, P&H board, boost control.
Jon k
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Jon k »

sportage4x4 wrote:sounds like the MS is dropping spark events. log the tooth counts, see if its loosing sync with the missing tooth.

more info on the setup would be nice, like stock VR sensor?, stock wiring harness? etc.
Stock sensor stock harness VR sensor 60 -2 wheel