Two Rover V8 fuel (&spark) maps for you

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

FridgeFreezer
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Two Rover V8 fuel (&spark) maps for you

Post by FridgeFreezer »

Thought I'd share some working settings with people to make life easier.

First off is a standard (B&G standard code, 8x8 tables, fuel only) settings file from my RR 3.5 V8 after a bit of datalogging & tuning, the idle isn't perfect but the rest of it is close and I have been running these settings (albeit with a less well tuned map) for years now:
JU_RR_35_200709062328a.msq
I would use this as a base settings for any stock RV8, just up the fuelling (REQ_FUEL in constants) by a certain % for larger engines.

Second is an MS'n'S-E setup - the engine is 4.6 V8 with "stump puller" cam, running version 029V of the MS'n'S-E code, EDIS-8 ignition, again this has been datalogged & tuned up and is actually pretty good, certainly I don't feel the need to tweak it any further right now:
JU_109_46_200708110959a.msq
This would probably start & run most Rover V8's albeit the fuelling would be rich/way out in places depending on the engine. The ignition map should hold for most stock RV8 motors.

Here is the .s19 file for the above, it's MS'n'S-E 029V with the correct Rover V8 temperature sender data in it.
tonym
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tonym »

I was interested in how your msq differed to mine but i cannot open it, save it or do anything with it at all :?: :?:
Tony M
FridgeFreezer
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by FridgeFreezer »

Get an error message? If you have an old version of MegaTune it may not like it - the 4.6 map is for 029V of the MS'n'S-E code.
tonym
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by tonym »

Nope, when i click on the first link, my megatune opens and loads the msq but there is no info in it, the second msq for msns brings up a notebook type page. Is anyone else managing to open these msq's?
Tony M
Smog Fighter
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Smog Fighter »

It has something to do with the settings in Megatune. I'm talking with Matt
Cramer about it here.
Raul

soon to be squirt&sparked 89 mkIII Supra, Using:
MS2 processor (pins 10 & 15 modded), v3.0pcb,
stepper IAC, P&H boards, *ERROR -extra board,
in 6cyl wasted spark configuration.
Jun-10-2007 alpha code.
RangingRover
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by RangingRover »

This makes for very interesting data for me - the spark table on that 4.6 has much less advance than mine, and may confirm a suspicion I have about a little flat spot in mine....

Few questions about said 4.6 though - when you say stump pulling cam, what are we talking? I have a crow cam for 4wding/towing which is supposed to be good from 1000 rpm up to 3,900, does this sound like a similar sort of deal? I imagine its in a landy/rangie or some kind of hybrid ? Specs would be interesting for a comparison....

Why is the kpa in the spark table set up all the way to 140kpa? Is it supercharged?

Which injectors is it running? Just at a guess off the VE table figures I'd say 3.9 injectors?

And finally, has it been setup for a lean cruise, and if so, what sort of AFRs and advance did you find worked best?

Thanks in advance Fridge, your site is one of the things that finally convinced me to take the plunge...
4.6 V8 '84 Range Rover, MS1 V3.0 on extra - Fuel and Dizzy Spark.
'81 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV - Was 2.0 4cyl MS1extra V3.0 + GSXr-750 ITBs, Now 3.0 quadcam V6, wasted spark, MS2 extra, GSXr-750 ITBs. I swear I had tyres on those rims when I left home officer....
FridgeFreezer
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by FridgeFreezer »

The cam is an RP4 (RPi Engineering) cam which apparently is less stump-pulling than I thought and will pull to 5k. I can't find actual specs for it. If I did it again I'd get an actual stump puller from Real Steel as I far prefer them as a company.

The spark table was done by a friend of mine who knows far more than me about tuning - however he sent me an MSQ he'd been fiddling about with and forgot he'd set the top higher than 100kpa :shock: since it works OK and I am lazy/of inferior brainpower I haven't changed it.

I may re-do it with a bit more advance and the proper scale if I can find an adult to help me :roll: a mate who is good at tuning commented it was quite a conservative map, but as the immediate requirement was to get us to Russia and back on an untested engine, playing it safe was the order of the day!

Injectors are 3.9 (p/n ERR722) and since someone pointed it out, my mate had also set PWM to 75% in the settings, but putting it back to 100% has made no difference. Likewise the injection was set to simultaneous, changing it to alternating seemed to make no difference but I prefer the theory of alternating to smooth out fuel pressure a bit.

The fuel map was done using the default AFR table in MegaLogViewer, I leave my lambda sensor to sort out the cruising - I am very wary of running the 4.6 lean as many people believe this contributes to the liner slip / porous block problem that some suffer (Rover ran the 4.6's very lean at cruise to pass emissions).

If you're driving a Range Rover or other 4x4, I would recommend checking out LR4x4.com as there has been a lot of MS discussion and quite a few converts with good tech write-ups. The tech archive lists a few valuable threads too. The discussion on here tends to be more car/race oriented whereas with a big muddy 4x4 the priorities and problems are different. Not many people are inclined to park in a pond to test their EDIS system's waterproofing qualities, for example :D
FridgeFreezer
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by FridgeFreezer »

I just set it to 4 squirts per cycle instead of two, much smoother now and cured a hesitation on accel. If you download the map, I'd change that and also the stuff in the post above. I will upload a new map at some point.
Maxster
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Two Rover V8 fuel (&spark) maps for you

Post by Maxster »

Can you upload the maps again? I think the link for the 4.6 doesnt work any more.

Thanks
Maxster
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Two Rover V8 fuel (&spark) maps for you

Post by Maxster »

Can you upload the files again?