iPhone app

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

[L'e$kro]
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: iPhone app

Post by [L'e$kro] »

Thanks a lot for the effort, I'm waiting for the ms2 extra version to try it out but will try the demo mode om that one to see how it looks
Keep up the good work!
Nico
bullethole
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by bullethole »

there is now a serial cable available for iphone,ipad and touch.. the one I have in front of me says Redpark C2-DB9 can't recall where I bought it, but found it when i was playing with some arduino based stuff last year (one of these days i'll get back to that - data acquisition system )
DaveW
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveW »

bullethole wrote:there is now a serial cable available for iphone,ipad and touch.. the one I have in front of me says Redpark C2-DB9 can't recall where I bought it, but found it when i was playing with some arduino based stuff last year (one of these days i'll get back to that - data acquisition system )
It's this one...
http://redpark.myshopify.com/products/serial-cable

We have looked at it in the past and there are two problems with that cable...

The first (and the reason the cable isn't supported by my app) is that it can't be used with any app on the app store because it relies on "backdoor hacks" within it's API software to access the iPhones serial connection. Any app that incorporates the API will get rejected due to the use of "undocumented api calls" - basically hacking into bits of the OS not designed to be used by apps. This makes the cable only of use if you write your own personal use iPhone app for it or you rely on people jailbreaking their phone. If it was the cable itself that wasn't approved I'd have added support but the "hacks" in the API make that impossible unfortunately.

The second is that it is limited to 57600 baud as a maximum data rate because it's using the existing iPhone serial connection available on the dock connector. As a result it can't be used with any version of MS beyond MS1.

You can pick up a suitable RS232 to WiFi adaptor that has none of those problems for $79, IMV, it leaves the Redpark cable dead in the water.
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

Love that this app is becoming a reality :)
Can't wait to get it for my MS3.

BTW, is it possible to use BOTH RS232 (with wifi adapter) and USB connection to PC at the same time?
-MS3X, (V3 PCB) 1.2 RC 1 firmware. Controlling a light modified Audi 1.8TQ AEB 20v engine with Holset HE221W turbo, 299.4 HP and 400Nm at the hubs in Dynapack.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

eMTea wrote:Love that this app is becoming a reality :)
Can't wait to get it for my MS3.

BTW, is it possible to use BOTH RS232 (with wifi adapter) and USB connection to PC at the same time?
Unfortunately, the RS232 and USB ports are tied to the same pins on the CPU.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
wildman
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wildman »

Can mobisquirt use the iphones accellerometers populate XForce and YForce accordingly?
Assuming the iphone is stationary in the car?

For connecting the Laptop Wirelessly..
If you use trueport from http://www.perle.com/downloads/truePort.shtml you can
use tunerstudioms over the wifi.. This was not working at first but changing a few items in the config..
ie connection mode to "lite mode" from automatic, and change the connection profile to be "Optimize Network Throughput".
the yellow light on the wifly will blink very fast while connected to the ms. it does not drop sync at all,
DaveW
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveW »

wildman wrote:Can mobisquirt use the iphones accellerometers populate XForce and YForce accordingly?
Assuming the iphone is stationary in the car?
Yes, although it's turned off in the current version for reasons i can't remember. It was working in the early test versions !

I think I turned it off while I tried to find a formula to convert the acceleration XYZ into G force values and it got left on the "todo" list.
Also on the "todo" list are the addition of lat/long and possibly speed. That would also allow a google maps overlay of route versus data which I thought would be quite cool when playing back log files but I'm trying to concentrate on basics at the moment as I get too easily distracted with "cool" stuff sometimes :)
gslender
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gslender »

Nice app. Has potential but limited value due to screen size. iPad app is when it will become a killer app for users IMO.

G
Mazda MX5 + MS3 Pro
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

Any progress on this app. Seems kinda quiet on the Mobisquirt forum.
-MS3X, (V3 PCB) 1.2 RC 1 firmware. Controlling a light modified Audi 1.8TQ AEB 20v engine with Holset HE221W turbo, 299.4 HP and 400Nm at the hubs in Dynapack.
DaveW
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveW »

Yes, i really should put an update on the MobiSquirt blog !

The next test version will be going out as a release candidate soon and assuming no major problems are found by the testers it should be on the app store by the end of March.

Other than a few bug fixes the main changes from the current release version are that it's now a "universal" app running iPad and Iphone/iPod in the same app. It will also run in any orientation on the iPad.
Support for MS2-Extra should also be completed.
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

Awesome, thats good news!
But is it MS3 compatible at all?
DaveW
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveW »

Not sure about MS3 as I haven't really looked at it. The aim is that it will support all versions, just might take a while to get there !
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

Will it be possible to add Bluetooth as a option OF connection? Then it will be possible to stay connected to the Internet when connected to the ecu..
DaveW
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveW »

eMTea wrote:Will it be possible to add Bluetooth as a option OF connection? Then it will be possible to stay connected to the Internet when connected to the ecu..
Not as things currently stand, although iOS devices support Bluetooth you can only connect to certain types of devices and none of the current serial to bluetooth adaptors will work with them. It's a shame as Bluetooth to serial adaptors are generally cheaper than the WiFi ones.
eMTea
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eMTea »

Sorry for all the noise in your thread, but I wonder if the Wifi module is possible to connect to a high output antenna? For monitoring car on drag strip or small tracks?
DaveW
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveW »

eMTea wrote:Sorry for all the noise in your thread, but I wonder if the Wifi module is possible to connect to a high output antenna? For monitoring car on drag strip or small tracks?
The WiFi unit has provision for an external antenna so that part shouldn't be a problem. Bear in mind that it's two way though so distance wouldn't be hugely increased because the iOS device still needs to be able to transmit to it.
DaveW
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveW »

It's taken a while but v1.1 is now available from the app store...
http://mobisquirt.org/2012/07/mobisquir ... lable-now/

Main features include MS2-Extra support, iPad support and fixes for MS1-Extra support including an AFR gauge.
rkilpatrickii
MS/Extra Newbie

iPhone app

Post by rkilpatrickii »

I am really impressed with the App, I can't wait to see how progresses.

Do you have plans to add horsepower and fuel economy gages to this app?
DaveW
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveW »

Some of the early test versions recorded acceleration and it has always been the intention to reinstate that and other GPS functions. That is likely to happen in the next version or so, I've been holding off slightly because one of the uses for the gps will be the potential to overlay a log file over a map. With the changes coming in iOS 6 I didn't want to add that in until the dust has settled on the new Apple mapping.

Anyway, once the GPS logging is added it will allow a number of new gauges to be added including instantaneous and average fuel consumption. Horse power and acceleration force gauges should also be feasible.
rkilpatrickii
MS/Extra Newbie

iPhone app

Post by rkilpatrickii »

Hey,
How's it going? I hope everything is good on your end. Haven't heard from u n a wile. But I love work have done on the app.