Running dual tables on MS1 V3?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kim_gulle
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Running dual tables on MS1 V3?

Post by kim_gulle »

I want to run dual tables for both spark and fuel, and i want to switch between the tables at 100 KPA so that i use the first set of tables up until boost, and then the second set of tables for boost. I know that the ECU will switch between the two tables when JP1 Pin 6 goes low. Is there any hardware mods i can do so that the ecu makes that pin go low at above 100 KPA and thus changing to the boost set of tables? Maybe i can use any of the outputs to achieve this? :D
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Running dual tables on MS1 V3?

Post by SymTech Laboratories »

You could connect output 1 or 2 to JS9, then configure the output to switch off at 100kPa. The output will need to be set to "inverted" to accomplish this.
SymTech Laboratories, LLC ----- MSQ File Repository: megasquirt.symtechlabs.com
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

... or wire them directly, and use Table 2 for normal running, and Table 1 for boost. The 'low' signal on JS9 from 0-100 kPa will trigger the map switch to Table 2; when the output goes High at 101 kPa, the map in use will be Table 1.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by SymTech Laboratories »

dontz125 wrote:... or wire them directly, and use Table 2 for normal running, and Table 1 for boost. The 'low' signal on JS9 from 0-100 kPa will trigger the map switch to Table 2; when the output goes High at 101 kPa, the map in use will be Table 1.
We meant to wire them directly but set the "Output Invert" setting to "inverted," but your method would work too.
SymTech Laboratories, LLC ----- MSQ File Repository: megasquirt.symtechlabs.com
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Sorry - I had TS open with the Output 3 & 4 page in front of me when I read that, which doesn't have the 'invert' option. I thought to hard about how to do it, and not hard enough about how to do it with Output #1 ... :lol:
TTR Ignition Systems
kim_gulle
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by kim_gulle »

Awesome! But where in Tunerstudio do i set the properties for Output 1 then so that it switches at 100 kpa? Also for some reason i cannot find the way to activate VE table 2. Right now it's VE table 1 and VE table 3 that's activated. Is this also possible? Since it says in Tunerstudio that both VE table 3 and Spark table 2 will be activated if JP1 Pin 6 goes Low. Where is JP1 Pin 6 on a V3 board anyway?

Edit: I looked some in Tunerstudio, and basically i connect JS2 to JS9, and then i set OUTPUT 1 source to MAP and choose to invert it at the bottom? Only problem i would have then is to figure out what RAW data would be for 100 kpa with the standard 250 kpa sensor. I'm guessing the raw data would be around 100 since raw data goes up to 255?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

You have to go to 2 places in TS to start using Outout 1. First, under Basic Settings / Codebase and Outputs Function you need to set the dropdown box for "X4 (JS2) function" to 'Output 1'. Then, under More Settings / Outputs you'll find the actual settings to trigger the output:
  • Set the dropdown box for "OUTPUT 1 (X4 /JS2) source" to 'MAP'
    set On/Off limit to 100
    set hysteresis to 5
    leave 'Upper Limit' at zero.
Since you want this HIGH below 101kpa (to use Spark map 1 for non-boosted), set the dropdown window for "Output 1 Invert for Temps" to 'Inverted'.

Using VE table 2 AND switching maps is tricky. VE table 2 is activated by going to Advanced / Fuel Table Selection; set the dropdown box for "Injector channel 2 - use table:" to '2 (DT)'. What happens here is that injector channel 1 will now run off of VE Table 1, and injector channel 2 will now run off of VE Table 2. Where life gets interesting is when you swap tables - only table 1 gets changed to table 3! Injector channel 2 is still reading table 2 ... This doesn't work if you're running both channels under normal operation; if you're running staged injection (channel 2 driving the second stage injectors), then VE Table1 + Table 2 vs Table 3 + Table 2 could still work.

JP1 Pin 6 is the notation for a V2.2 board; this pin is labelled JS9 on a V3.0 board.

Hope this makes sense!
TTR Ignition Systems
kim_gulle
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by kim_gulle »

dontz125 wrote:You have to go to 2 places in TS to start using Outout 1. First, under Basic Settings / Codebase and Outputs Function you need to set the dropdown box for "X4 (JS2) function" to 'Output 1'. Then, under More Settings / Outputs you'll find the actual settings to trigger the output:
  • Set the dropdown box for "OUTPUT 1 (X4 /JS2) source" to 'MAP'
    set On/Off limit to 100
    set hysteresis to 5
    leave 'Upper Limit' at zero.
Since you want this HIGH below 101kpa (to use Spark map 1 for non-boosted), set the dropdown window for "Output 1 Invert for Temps" to 'Inverted'.

Using VE table 2 AND switching maps is tricky. VE table 2 is activated by going to Advanced / Fuel Table Selection; set the dropdown box for "Injector channel 2 - use table:" to '2 (DT)'. What happens here is that injector channel 1 will now run off of VE Table 1, and injector channel 2 will now run off of VE Table 2. Where life gets interesting is when you swap tables - only table 1 gets changed to table 3! Injector channel 2 is still reading table 2 ... This doesn't work if you're running both channels under normal operation; if you're running staged injection (channel 2 driving the second stage injectors), then VE Table1 + Table 2 vs Table 3 + Table 2 could still work.

JP1 Pin 6 is the notation for a V2.2 board; this pin is labelled JS9 on a V3.0 board.

Hope this makes sense!
So table 2 is not really necessary in my case then? I planned to use VE Table 1 and spark table 1 for non boost, and VE table 3 and spark table 2 for boost. As i understand it the Megasquirt should switch to those tables by doing the mods you are talking about. You can really just ignore what i said about VE table 2, it was just something i was curious about. :)
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

You may want to do some reading, look at other VE tables and spark maps - a lot of guys get by with just one map, even boosted. YMMV
TTR Ignition Systems
kim_gulle
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by kim_gulle »

dontz125 wrote:You may want to do some reading, look at other VE tables and spark maps - a lot of guys get by with just one map, even boosted. YMMV
Yeah i know i would get by with just one map. But that's not as much fun as it would be to use multiple maps. And also it's nice with better accuracy on the injectors. :)
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

Hi, it seems I need higher RPM resolution of my VE table, table switching will be a good solution, I hope..

only hardware mod is soldering wire between JS2 and JS9, am I right ?

output 1 setting :
source - RPM
on-off limit - 35 ? (I want to switch to VE3 at 3500RPM, so 3500/100 correct ?)
off histerisis - 1 ? (to return back to VE1 at 3400RPM)
upper limit - 0
inverted

will these values work ?
thanx
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
archy355
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by archy355 »

I am also interested in the hardware mod, is it a simple wire or do you need to build a circuit
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

just one wire..
archy355
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by archy355 »

awesome, thanks for the response and I think I'll give it a try.
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

archy335: are you running speed-density or alpha-N ?
archy355
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by archy355 »

2swe wrote:archy335: are you running speed-density or alpha-N ?
speed density
john.p.clegg
Running MSx/Extra

Post by john.p.clegg »

In the dark recesses of my mind I seem to remember something about spark table 2 not being active when switched??

John :?