4age 20V Silver Top COP Build

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mr1andahalf
MS/Extra Newbie

4age 20V Silver Top COP Build

Post by mr1andahalf »

This thread is to try and document a full build on a Silver Top 4age engine. I will try and be as complete as possible, and detail all connections and wiring, and components used. This install is headed for a stripped out MR2 that will be trailered to autocross events. No need for any nicities, just performance!

Equipment so far -

Megasquirt 1 PCB 3.0 preassembled with MOD_x30-12vIn, MOD_130-5vOut, and MOD_130Relay. Not even sure about the whys and wherefors of the mods at this stage, but this is what I have to start with...

4 IGN1A race coils for COP ignition with built in ignitors and logic level triggering. http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/ign1 ... p-394.html

LC-1 O2 sensor.

GM open element IAT sensor

MS Harness

all purchased from DIYAutoTune directly.
Last edited by mr1andahalf on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 4age 20V Silver Top COP Build

Post by dontz125 »

Can you specify what the board mods are? The descriptions you gave are DIY's catalog numbers, and won't provide much help to anyone following your story ...
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
mr1andahalf
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mr1andahalf »

Firstly, thanks for the feedback. Anytime that information is missing or sketchy, please let me know. Also, there are going to be a number of questions along the way, so any and all help is appreciated.

In response to what the mods are to the MegaSquirt, that is a good question. I have put a couple of photos up of the original invoice, and the description there is all that I know about the mods. If anyone can shed more light on this, please do.

Invoice page 1: http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a49 ... g:original

Invoice page 2: http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a49 ... g:original
mr1andahalf
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mr1andahalf »

Progress so far:

I have wired up many of the sub-systems using this wiring diagram as a guide:

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a49 ... g:original

The main power, and ignition switch are in, a button to crank the engine, the fuel pump, the O2 sensor, the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), and injectors. All of this wiring has been done in accordance with the above diagram.

Some wiring details:

I have reused the main fuse box from the engine compartment of the MR2 to get an easy way to mount fuses and relays, and as a source of relays.

The TPS is done using the factory TPS that was on the engine. The brown wire wired to ground, the yellow wire wired to Vref, the red wire as the signal back to the MegaSquirt. The signal reads low resistance from ground when throttle closed, and high when open. There was also a blue wire which I have not connected to the system. This seems to be a switch that is closed when there is no throttle, and open when any amount of throttle is applied.

Wiring the O2 sensor, Red to 12V supply through fuse and controlled by FP relay. Green, white and blue wires all wired to ground. Brown is input to MegaSquirt. Yellow was left N/C. Black wire is the calibration wire which is wired to ground through a push button and an LED.

That's about as far as I have proceeded, except for doing a large amount of reading.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Seven wires on an O2 sensor sounds like a Wideband unit to me, and needs a controller. It can't be wired straight to the MS box.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
mr1andahalf
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mr1andahalf »

Yes, you are exactly right about the O2 sensor comment. The O2 sensor is an LC-1 O2 sensor as I outlined in the first post. Definitely a wideband sensor. It looks like it has a controller unit that is integrated right into the cable. Full description of the O2 sensor is on the invoice, Innovate Motorsports LC-1 Lambda Cable with Bosch LSU4.2 sensor.

Product page is found here: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lc1.php

In re-reading your comment, do you mean there needs to be extra circuitry between the LC-1 and the MegaSquirt?
Mario
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Mario »

Bump
1967 Beetle My test mule
The Dub Shop
Facebook
Megasquirt for life!
thomas1510
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by thomas1510 »

mr1andahalf wrote:In re-reading your comment, do you mean there needs to be extra circuitry between the LC-1 and the MegaSquirt?
No, the LC1 is a wideband controller- built into the cable just like you said. It connects straight up to the MS.
98 Subaru Forester, ej205 turbo, MS2 extra.

1970 Datsun 510 turbo running MSx 029t. L20b with wasted spark, 4-1 crank wheel, td04 turbo
changcarlos1981
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by changcarlos1981 »

hello my friend.. im new in the megasquirt world..

i have a 4age 20v silvertop. and i have ms1 v3 for that engine...

in my engine i have 1nz coil on plug to not cut the firewall in the ae86

my question is... what i need to run the engine with the cop????

i need another item or what is the wire to put in the distributor to the megasquirt...

is the only thing and i dont have any clue of this..

please help me the question if you have the wire route or anything can help me please i very apreciate that...

very thanks you to all