moved the BIP373..

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

moved the BIP373..

Post by lekman »

Hello
I have now moved the BIP373 from the ms-board to a heat sink just near by the ignition coil. Did this just because I always thought that I had a bit weak spark, And that I thought that the wire to the coil in the prefabricated harness is so very thin (and had to carry all the charging of the coil).Now Im using this thin wire to instead control the BIP373, but no charging of the coil… I have MSnS , ms1v3.
I haven’t tried it yet, the car is awaiting better spring weather.
Have I been stupid here, Is there a risk that this will not work? Myself believe that it’s a splendid idea, to ground the BIP just by the coil, instead of thru the whole ms-harness.

Regards/Lars
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: moved the BIP373..

Post by elutionsdesign »

That's the way I like to do it as well, just as long as the BIP is fully weather and heat protected it should work great.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lekman »

Yes. I have to do some weather protection. I have some resin stuff that's meant to water protect RC equipment. Maybe Ill use that, or make a box around it. The engine runs with it. but I havnt yet had the opportunity to see if I find the ignition better in any way.
/Lars
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lekman »

Today, when I isolated the BIP with a isolating stuff called liquid tape, I managed to put on too much Silicon grease. Grease for thermal conduction. I realize that this grease also is electrical conductive. Suppose I failed with isolating my BIP from ground, and now I have no spark at all
Is this BIP circuit destroyed now, or can it work if I re-isolate it. I suppose I have to put in a new one. (I hope nothing more than the BIP is harmed)

/Lars

No, I had a problem with my fuel pump relay, .seems that the BIP373 works. Will redo it anyhow, isolating with liquid tape...