Toyota 4A-F runs fine cold but shuts down when warm

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Reivn
MS/Extra Newbie

Toyota 4A-F runs fine cold but shuts down when warm

Post by Reivn »

Runs fine on idle and responds to gas well when cold, but when at normal temperature won't idle and if given even a bit too much gas sounds like it's choking. Still needs just a little bit of gas pedal pumping to keep it alive, otherways dies. Latest (rough) settins of TS and datalog attached. Sparkplugs are default (Ngk value6), could it be I need to get colder ones (Ngk 7) or even Iridium plugs (for example Brisk 15 or 14)?

Megasquirt 1 v3.57 / TS 2.5.05 / code MS1 029y4
'88 Toyota Corolla / MS1 v3.57
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Toyota 4A-F runs fine cold but shuts down when warm

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Log seems to be MIA. Sounds like it could be leaning out.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Reivn
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Toyota 4A-F runs fine cold but shuts down when warm

Post by Reivn »

d***, my bad about the log, has happened also before that I save empty files :D Got to the car again today, idle works now as I changed the Injector Opening Time from 0.9ms to 1.3ms. 1.2ms had it almost going but badly, 1.3 works very fine with a little bit of extra air given past the intake flaps (needs extra air past the flaps all times, even when warm, and I haven't had the time to install any kind of restricting valves etc on the system, thats why the idle is at 2000rpm atm). Also changed Fast Idle Threshold to under 70C and upped the Cranking Dwell to 5.6ms with no notable effect one way or other.

New problem occured, engine goes to 22.4AfR when given even a bit of gas and responds very poorly, rpm rises d*** slow. Adjusted the VE Table Map range to 140kPa upper limit (default value was near 200kPa as i recall) and had no time to check if I needed to change the values. If someone has extra time in their hands to spot some errors I would be very pleased :)

Log and settings off the latest run with the engine dying when given gas attached, both files can also be found on the following links:
https://mega.co.nz/#!qFwV0C7I!z8DCn1SR7 ... wWUHBvvCvM
https://mega.co.nz/#!CIxRGDDT!vg5RIuZCY ... nkGlrnBrzk
'88 Toyota Corolla / MS1 v3.57