pulsing the injectors?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

pulsing the injectors?

Post by lekman »

Hello
My car has been discussed several times. I have an audi 5 cyl turbo (MC1) I run ms1v3, MSnS. I have discussed my possible detonation issue. I think I have destroyed the engine in an early stage.
I inherited a mapping from a friend, and I trusted this too much. didn't listen to the engine seriously enough in the start. But it was running with a good torque, back then...
Now I get stuck in detonations. I have to back off the ignition, and there s not much of a response.
I plan to put in another engine, or perhaps open up and swap the pistons (if necessary)

I have some questions though:
yesterday when I drove it I only had 30°C as max intake air temp, so a problem with a clogged IC is not likely?
can I pull out the injectors and have the ms pulse the injectors, so I can check there s no problem with fuel distribution, (I think the injectors I have are Chinese)
I have done a static leak down test, and haven't seen any problems, but I can still have detonation damages?
when it comes to fuel mapping I have done auto tuning, using LC1-wideband sensor. Now Im experimenting with altering the whole upper part of the VE-table , giving more fuel, but the torque is missing....

Any advise before starting tearing it down.?

As is seems now my case can be an example of, -not to trust another ones engine mapping. Can be such as simple explanation that we have had a big difference in trigger angle..!

Regards/Lars

ps: I added a log file and the msq from yesterday. the msq, I have a pretty aggressive ignition again, as a last desperate. The datalog.- I think it referrers to an old msq,
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

files

Post by lekman »

trying to add files.
these are more relevant than the msq in my the other post from today. My audi issue.. -pulsing the injectors?

Regards/Lars
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: pulsing the injectors?

Post by jsmcortina »

lekman wrote: Can be such as simple explanation that we have had a big difference in trigger angle..!,
You will have fixed this when you checked your timing with a strobe.

If you have not checked the timing, then you MUST DO IT NOW.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lekman »

I have checked the ignition with a strobe. Im confident that I have it fairly right, now. But when I started it up, I drove the car for some miles with a probably wrong basic timing. Maybe the original setup (friends car) had a faulty basic timing, and as a result from this, a very aggressive ignition table.....

Can I pulse the injectors, to see if they are behaving, all of them?

I think its possible to see evidence from detonations on the plugs, using a stereo microscope. I will try to see if I have a detonation problem in only one cylinder.

/Lars
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lekman »

I actually start to believe that I have better response now. I altered the VE-table manually, giving some additional fuel, compared with the auto tuning. Still have some hope that my audi will run better than when I had the K-jet on it.

/LArs
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lekman »

If I pull out the injectors still attached to the fuel rail, to look at the distribution, spray, and amounts. Is performing start attempts the most practical way of making the injectors to pulse, or are there better ways?

/Lars
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

MS1 does not have any test modes for injectors, coils or outputs.
Upgrading to MS2 or MS3 would give you those features.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

lekman wrote:If I pull out the injectors still attached to the fuel rail, to look at the distribution, spray, and amounts. Is performing start attempts the most practical way of making the injectors to pulse, or are there better ways?

/Lars
:shock: Just one old guys opinion of course........ Does not sound like a good idea to me without an appropriate number of controls ie. no ignition sources, something to catch the fuel, not to mention having the local Fire Department parked outside the shop.............. I would think that there are better/safer ways to test injectors than what you are proposing.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lekman »

The risk with handling fuel (petrol) depends a lot on the weather conditions, hot summer day is the best. Iwe been spraying a lot with the old K-jet, it almost has been a regular procedure around my old audis.. I should anyhow take your warning seriously, there will be a lot more electrical stuff involved cranking the engine (on the K-jet only the fuel pump relay has to be engaged)
I will put the car outdoors, and I only will risk the car......

/Lars
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lekman »

I have always suspected the spark to be too weak, giving me poor combustion. Not all my problems have actually been caused by detonations. Now I have strengthened the spark by putting in less resistance in the system. I have zero resistance in the line from the coil to the distributor and I took away the resistance in the rotor. Now it runs much better. Im starting to believe that the engine is a keeper. Im using the audi stock coil, I have tried a couple different coils, with the same result. Should I swap coil, or does this coil need more dwell time? I have 3.6 ms now…..
Regards/Lars