Timing dilemma and update SORTED..

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

john.p.clegg
Running MSx/Extra

Timing dilemma and update SORTED..

Post by john.p.clegg »

Hello again and help,please...I have bee struggling with this for the past two days and I'm no further...

Ms1extra-29y4,4 cylinder,wasted spark,VR sensor placed over tooth 9 when at TDC.

The car had been running fine but has just had a rebuild (cams re-timed,valves ground etc.etc.) with the engine back in the car I can start it up and will rev freely BUT with the timing light connected the advance seems to retard when revving??

Please see datalog:-
2014-04-05_17.14.47.msl
Also Msq:-
2014-04-05_18.10.04.msq

When cranking TS shows 10 btdc,
Strobe says 15btdc
I'd like 8 or 9 btdc

When idling TS shows 17 btdc.
Strobe says 15btdc
That's fine by me.

When revving Ts shows 16 btdc rising to 30 btdc
Strobe says 15 btdc going down to 5 btdc ?? then up to 20 btdc ??

I am sure it is to do with the Trigger angle,Crank timing,Trigger return,Time base but have used-up all my permutations trying to correct it...

Any help would be most appreciated,it is "doing my head in"...it could have been like this before the rebuild but i didn't get a strobe on it before stripping it down

P.S. Even double checked the timing mark on the crank pulley ( just in case)

Thanks
John :RTFM:
Last edited by john.p.clegg on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
john.p.clegg
Running MSx/Extra

Re: Timing dilemma and update

Post by john.p.clegg »

RE-read the Manual and tried adjusting from start and thing look better,the indicated timing and cranking are now O.K. but the spark advance is still up-the-wall.
Well went back to basics and decided the only thing that changed was me rebuilding the engine...must be the problem?? so had a brainwave,the VR sensor is mounted on a flimsy pressed steel closing plate covering the flywheel,the clutch and flywheel had been disturbed so measure the VR gap....seemed too large 2mm...made up a checking and adjusting tool and set the mounting plate at nearer .8mm....still won't advance with the advance curve/settings in Ts ,just advances a little then drops back to 10 btdc...any clues?

Trigger log Tooth log:-
toothlog1.JPG
tooth log 2.JPG
Trigger logs to follow

Edit..managed to re-size,they drop a lot on revving?
is that normal?

Latest Msq :-
2014-04-06_17.08.39.msq
Losing the will to live

john.p.clegg
Running MSx/Extra

Post by john.p.clegg »

and the trigger logs..
trigger log 1.JPG
trigger log 2.JPG
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

There is a latency setting under Advanced Code Options to deal with delays from sensors and ignition modules - try increasing this number until the timing is steady across the RPM range.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
john.p.clegg
Running MSx/Extra

Re: Timing dilemma and update SORTED..

Post by john.p.clegg »

Dear All
Please note that some inductive timing lights as well as needing to be connected the right way (as shown by the arrow on the inductive clamp ) also do not like to be placed next to another lead/spark-plug...or you will get strange readings which could waste hours/days of your time...

John :D