Using a Trigger Wheel

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

downside190
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Using a Trigger Wheel

Post by downside190 »

Hi

So I've hit a bit of a road block in using the flywheel from the engine of the donor car (Mercedes C230 kompressor) as it wont go into the gearbox of the Mercedes 190 (center ring is too small on the kompressor flywheel). So i've decided I want to go the trigger wheel route as this would save expensive clutch kits dual mass flywheels in future as I could use the 190e versions.

My main issue is I've never used a trigger wheel set up before, the original crank sensor and flywheel is a 60-2 tooth pattern but the most common one I come across online is 30-1. Now would I be able to use a 30-1 trigger wheel mounted to the engine pulley or would I need to use a 60-2 tooth pattern in order for it to run right?

Thanks in advance
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Using a Trigger Wheel

Post by dontz125 »

The 60-2 is what the OEM box expects; the MS will expect what you tell it to expect. If you tell it to look for a 30-1 wheel, then that's what it expects.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
downside190
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Using a Trigger Wheel

Post by downside190 »

dontz125 wrote:The 60-2 is what the OEM box expects; the MS will expect what you tell it to expect. If you tell it to look for a 30-1 wheel, then that's what it expects.
Thanks, I was hoping for this but wasn't sure if I had to keep it as close to the OEM set up as possible.