random skip/misfire

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

archy355
Helpful MS/Extra'er

random skip/misfire

Post by archy355 »

I finally got my 383 up an running on ms1 3.0. I have a a random misfire, its like the computer just loses tach signal or something. the ms1 is running the timing and injectors. i have attached the data log, could someone just take a look at it and tell me if it is possibly a noise problem or if the computer is just some how losing power. I dont really have the skills of looking at the datalog yet.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: random skip/misfire

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
archy355
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by archy355 »

thank you for the speedy response, after looking at the proper grounding for the motor i believe that is my issue. right now i just have my motor grounding to the frame. ill run another wire grounding it directly to the battery.
archy355
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by archy355 »

so last night i ran a ground wire from the motor to the battery in the bed of the truck. I fired the truck up and turn on the trigger logger and the random miss fire was still there. I notcied that ms was shutting off for a split second and then turning back on. After checking all the relays and thinking they were bad, I noticed that the alternator was acting kind of funny and taking a while sometimes to start charging and then not even cranking a good amount of volts. I decided to just disconect the alt to see what happened, as soon as i fired it up the truck sounded the best it has yet with no mis fire, running smooth. Im going to grab a new alternator in the next couple days but my assumption is that it is bad and shorting out and back feeding the system some how.