Boost table switching. Just for Closed Loop boost target?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Nigep
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Boost table switching. Just for Closed Loop boost target?

Post by Nigep »

I`m running MS1 V3.0. Boost control is working fine on the Boost Duty Target table. :)

The car is a dedicated track car and I was hoping to have switchable boost targets for wet / dry conditions with differing boost delivery depending on the map.

However, now I`ve got it all wired up and working, it appears I can only switch between Boost Target tables, which is for closed loop control only. :shock:

From what I`ve read, closed loop boost control isn`t great on MS1 (correct me if I`m wrong), so does this mean I can`t switch between boost tables unless I run closed loop ? :?:

If that`s the case, any suggestions on how to get Closed loop working satisfactorily ?

(I know it says I need to post an MSQ and datalog, but it`s not really relevant to this question is it ?)
Nigep
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Boost table switching. Just for Closed Loop boost target

Post by Nigep »

Anyone ? :?:
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

How about simply using the switch to cut power to the solenoid? That way, with it off, you'll get wastegate pressure, and with it on, you'll get the MS1's boost output levels.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Nigep
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Nigep »

I can do that, but I really don`t want to if I have a choice. I`d like a low boost map that still uses the boost control solenoid to keep the wastegate closed at low RPM to increase spool, then tweak the boost for the rest of the rpm trace.

My higher `boost` mode would be for the dry, when I`m running slicks and have traction so can run a higher boost map.

At the moment, I`ve mapped it so the boost comes on early, but doesn`t spike, then increases for the rest of the RPM range to maintain torque.

Initial Mapping gave a large spike as the turbo spooled.

On actuator pressure alone, you can see there is a delay between pressing the throttle and the boost (Green) increasing.

On the current-work-in-progress map, the boost rises much quicker, as soon as I press the throttle the green line goes up and is then controlled by my boost target to increase over RPM. This will be tweaked on the dyno.

Having that option to improve spool, but then have a lower target would be a more responsive `wet` setup. Just disconnecting the solenoid makes it laggy and not as easy to drive quick in the wet.

Appreciate you replying though :)
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'm afraid MS1 firmware doesn't support switching two separate open loop boost tables.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Nigep
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Nigep »

Bit of an old thread revival here. :o

I`ve searched and can`t seem to find if MS2 DOES support two separate open loop boost tables, or is it just MS3 ?

It`s something I`m really finding would be a benefit to my setup, but as Matt said, MS1 doesn`t support 2x Open Loop Boost tables, so I`m trying to find out which version of MS does.

Anyone know please.?
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Rummaging through TS, I don't see any options to switch boost tables in MS2 ...
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Nigep
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Nigep »

Oh dear. :(

Thanks for looking!

I never thought to start a new project and pick ms2 :oops: