ms1 crank trigger options and opinions

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

archy355
Helpful MS/Extra'er

ms1 crank trigger options and opinions

Post by archy355 »

So I have a 383 sbc and im running an ms1 3.0 currently set up to accept a signal from my msd billet distributor. I believe i am getting some noise issues in upper rpms because the data log show rpm spikes and jumps. Just looking for some opinions on crank trigger set ups and also options.

option 1:
msd rip off flying magnet style
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Block-Che ... 64&vxp=mtr
My questions are can you run one of these set ups on an ms1 and will i need to change up how i have the ms1 currently wired in order to use if? also i would need help on how to set it up because i had trouble finding the info on settings, everything seems to be about 36-1 and 60-2.

option 2:
diyautotune's 36-1 wheel with one of there hall effect sensors.
i know i would need to send a 12v power source to the sensor, but would i need to change the ms in order to run this style sensor (its currently set up for a vr sensor from the msd distributor)? Also i read the hall effect sensor would send a square signal to the computer so i would not have to worry about adjusting the trim pots and i know the signal would be clear correct?

option 3:
holleys 60-2 PART #: 556-110
this kit also com with a hall effect sensor. is the 60-2 wheel to many teeth for the ms1? Im only looking to rev probably to 6500.

Sorry for the long post and all the questions. Just looking to get something ordered up so i can install it while the motors out since a piston let go before i could get the breaking up issue fixed :lol: . Thank you in advance for anyone who takes some time to read this.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: ms1 crank trigger options and opinions

Post by Matt Cramer »

archy355 wrote:So I have a 383 sbc and im running an ms1 3.0 currently set up to accept a signal from my msd billet distributor. I believe i am getting some noise issues in upper rpms because the data log show rpm spikes and jumps. Just looking for some opinions on crank trigger set ups and also options.

option 1:
msd rip off flying magnet style
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Block-Che ... 64&vxp=mtr
My questions are can you run one of these set ups on an ms1 and will i need to change up how i have the ms1 currently wired in order to use if? also i would need help on how to set it up because i had trouble finding the info on settings, everything seems to be about 36-1 and 60-2.
Wires up just the same. You'll need to set the trigger angle to match, and possibly adjust the VR trim pots.
option 2:
diyautotune's 36-1 wheel with one of there hall effect sensors.
i know i would need to send a 12v power source to the sensor, but would i need to change the ms in order to run this style sensor (its currently set up for a vr sensor from the msd distributor)? Also i read the hall effect sensor would send a square signal to the computer so i would not have to worry about adjusting the trim pots and i know the signal would be clear correct?
You can bring our Hall sensor in through the VR circuit. It may need some trim pot adjustment, but not much.
option 3:
holleys 60-2 PART #: 556-110
this kit also com with a hall effect sensor. is the 60-2 wheel to many teeth for the ms1? Im only looking to rev probably to 6500.
The MS1 can handle it.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Although MS1 works ok, an upgrade to MS2 will give you more accurate fuel and spark control.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
archy355
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by archy355 »

matt i recently purchased one of your 8 1/4" 36-1 wheel and hall effect sensor. can you give me a quick run down on how to set it up. I saw on your site that it says that with the balancer at tdc to have the sensor at the fifth tooth after the missing one, the manual says to use the ninth. Which one is correct? also i am just wondering what the tuner studio setting would look like and do you have any suggestion on where i should set the trim pots to start. thank you
Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

archy355, it depends on if you're trying to emulate the EDIS tooth setup (where the position of the sensor when the missing tooth is at TDC is critical to the hardware) or running any other type of spark output where the MS controls the spark timing. For an eight cylinder engine, the EDIS module uses tooth five. I have mine (Olds small block) at tooth nine because I misread the manuals and set it up for the 4 cylinder EDIS module not fully understanding the settings, and as a result I would need to rephase the trigger wheel (or move the sensor) to get it at tooth five if I wanted to run wasted spark using an EDIS.

I'm sure Ford chose that phasing for a reason, but for all I know it was a packaging concern for the sensor location and not anything to do with trigger even timing.

OP, remember that the four position flying magnet designs have much less resolution than something like the 36-1 wheel, especially if your engine is fast-revving. If you're going through the trouble of setting up a crank trigger and the ECU can handle it (MS1 can) I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to expend your efforts setting up the 36-1.
archy355
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by archy355 »

thanks for the answer rick, i am actually using a distributor with a mallory hyfire ignition box. So will it actually matter if i begin at tooth 5 or 9. And will i be able to just use the trigger position settings as stated in the manual,

Rick Finsta
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Rick Finsta »

That is how I had mine set up and the VR sensor was getting good signal and everything was syncing up, but I never did get my spark output wiring sorted before recently switching to MS2. I like the idea of using a sensor position that duplicates something you can find in the manuals (like your diagram above) but if you run into packaging concerns you can always use the wheel decoder spreadsheet program to get your trigger returns squared away.
MG David
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MG David »

Looking at the diagram in archy355's post above, I assume you would set the trigger angle at 90 degrees. Is that correct?

If you were using a single coil and distributor rather than wasted spark on a 4 cyl engine would you just set the Trig pos A at 3 and return at 8? or just that table just relate to wasted spark?
archy355
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by archy355 »

Does anyone have a starting setting i should set the trim pots to with the hall sensor from diyautotune?