Idle SA question

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Idle SA question

Post by WillExoIX »

It was recommended to me that my Idle SA cells be 10* more than my base timing to reduce the tendency for idle surging. This from a reputable source.

Aside from the fact of not having a IAC connected till everything is squared away and I pick up an MS2 processor.

Here is my dilemma, You may recall my Spark dropout under load thread, where incorrect rotor phasing and faulty ICM in concert with a leaking EGR were causing the issue.

Here is what was done to correct it. Rotor phasing incorrect at 10* base timing, Pulled dizzy up and retarded it by one tooth, which in turn brought my base timing to 0*. Put the corrected value into the Megasquirt, so the Megasquirt compensated, and essentially made the base timing 10* while the bypass wire is connected. Bypass wire disconnected, base timing steady at 0*. BAM, problem solved.

Onto the question.
Taking into account the previous paragraph, and the tip to set Idle SA cells to 10* more than base timing for a smooth idle on my motor.
The question is, am I setting the Idle SA cells to 10* or 20*? Which value is the "actual" base timing, the 0* base, or the compensated 10* base in the MS?

MS1 V3 running extra code.

I don't see where a log or tune would help, but if you need them just let me know and I'll post them up.
Thanks
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Idle SA question

Post by WillExoIX »

Hmm, guess there is a first time for everything.

I'll just assume base timing is 10* as it normally would be on my motor....
Megasquirt 2 V3.0 Running Msextra 3.4.2. in a 1989 Camaro RS .48AR/60mm Turbo 3.4L/700R4
Boost control, Fan control, Stepper IAC, Launch/Antilag, Working on the GMDIS, and Methanol injection
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

All I need to know is which one of you actually wrote the post???? :lol:

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

kjones6039 wrote:All I need to know is which one of you actually wrote the post???? :lol:

Ken
The raccoon of course, I'm too busy working on the car lmao!
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Would the difference between rising edge and falling edge be 10*? Could that be the reason, perhaps its set wrong?
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

WillExoIX wrote:Would the difference between rising edge and falling edge be 10*? Could that be the reason, perhaps its set wrong?

Nobody has any input?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The best way to determine the difference between the edges is with a timing light.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Matt Cramer wrote:The best way to determine the difference between the edges is with a timing light.
So switch it from one to the other and verify timing values with the light?

Could that possibly be the reason it idles so rough? Or is that from adding a restriction to the exhaust (turbo). Idle was smooth as butter before the turbo was added.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

WillExoIX wrote: So switch it from one to the other and verify timing values with the light?
Just verify what you've got now.
Could that possibly be the reason it idles so rough? Or is that from adding a restriction to the exhaust (turbo). Idle was smooth as butter before the turbo was added.
Could be this setting or it could be some of the mods when you added a turbo.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Matt Cramer wrote:
WillExoIX wrote: So switch it from one to the other and verify timing values with the light?
Well right now with the bypass unplugged its 0* base timing. Standard base timing on this motor is 10*, but there was a rotor phasing issue before the turbo went on that was partially solved by bumping the distributor back one tooth. That caused base timing to go from 10* to 0*, but was compensated by setting the MS to 10* timing for the base value, or setting the MS to 0*, I can't quite remember which. The MS compensates for the changed base timing, and all was back to normal, put it that way.

Tomorrow I will switch the setting and see what happens, Because if possible I would like to be able to put everything back the way it was beforehand, instead of band-aiding what ever the underlying issue was. It was a completely brand new distributor if it matters, and installed properly.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Didn't get a chance to check this as I was getting a log for my other issue. I will check it soon.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Matt Cramer wrote:
Quick question. Do you want me to check this with the bypass unplugged? As in base timing?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Check with the bypass connected.
WillExoIX
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WillExoIX »

Matt Cramer wrote:Check with the bypass connected.
Timing matches what is on screen in tuner studio. It does jump about 1* one way or the other at idle. Rock steady with the bypass unplugged.

Trim angle was at 1*, I set that to 0.

EDIT-I see now that this was before I figured out that I had a dead cylinder from a rocker being to tight. I have since fixed that and it runs smooth again. Though I think I can finally put the distributor back where it was, because I discovered improper dwell settings for GM HEI.