MAP-sensor

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MAP-sensor

Post by lekman »

Hi again
Now Im so satisfied with the engine and the ms, how the whole thing works. I have an audi 5-cyl turbo (MC1). Still MSnS.
I have 470 cc injectors, run on 50% ethanol, and the Boost just below 1,5 bars . gives an awesome torque and the consumption about 1.1 liter per 10 km, if driving as a normal, eh driver.

Now Id like to upgrade the MAP-sensor, I would like to be able to be around 1.5 bars of Boost. Is there a 300 kPa MAP-sensor available or is the 4-bars sensor, MAP-daddy a good idea. I will never use much higher Boost levels than this, for several reasons. I want to upgrade as little as possible (or t the highest degree of accuracy), any suggestions?

Best Regards/Lars
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: MAP-sensor

Post by lekman »

What I'm looking for is a MAP-sensor that doesn't require any particular calibrations, just to define in the ms and it will work. And I suppose I don't want a too big sensor, I will never Boost higher than 300 kPa. I don't want to mess up the mappings by changing the MAP-sensor, but I want to be able to run at 1.5 Bars overpressure, and the standard sensor is too small..
Regards/Lars
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The default settings in MS1/Extra will let you use a 4 bar sensor like the MapDaddy, or a 3 bar sensor like a GM 3 bar. There have been a couple companies that made 3 bar solder-in MAP sensors, but I'm not aware of any of them still being in business.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lekman »

I have found this one here in Sweden : MM Competition Systems Ltd, APS 05, Automotive 3.0 bar absolute MAP sensor. It has 162.5 kPa at 2.5 volt and 308 kPa at 4.75 V.
Not sure if this one is straight on into the ms?

/Lars
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lekman »

I have now installed a MAPdaddy 4 bars with barometric correction
It seems that I have to do some new mappings now. I can always let It do the autotune. Anyhow, the system isn't working as it did with the old MAP-sensor.
Im sure (convinced) that I have done all necessary changes in the TS.

Is it normal that the map-file has to be redone after swapping MAP-sensor?

/Lars

ps: the engine is running fine, bot is now lacking in power, I don't dare not putting the LC-1 back to see whats going on
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

The earlier code versions did require retuning with a MAP sensor change; the 029y4 code (current release) fixed this.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lekman »

It seems I have had leaky hoses at the new MAP-sensor. I will first see to that it gets fixed properly.
/Lars
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Leakdown

Post by lekman »

I have now done a kind of leakdown-test, attaching compressed air at the hose in the engine bay (not too much), testing for leaks.
The hose that came in the MAPdaddy-kit was too wide, giving a leak at the sensor. I just put a tyre for a slot car (mattel, Tyco) around the hose, and it works as a clamping of the hose....