temp sensor position?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

temp sensor position?

Post by lekman »

Hello
When I did my installation I simply installed the Intake Air Temp-sensor where it was in the stock system, -in the outlet of the IC, so its actually outside of the throttle housing. Can this supposedly give me any negative effects? that the sensor isn't actually inside the manifold.
I think I have noticed a difference in response in early mornings compared to hot afternoons, bigger differences than just the effect on the filling of the motor....
/Lars
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: temp sensor position?

Post by slow_hemi6 »

It would depend on whether the sensor heat soaks or not.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

lekman wrote:Hello
When I did my installation I simply installed the Intake Air Temp-sensor where it was in the stock system, -in the outlet of the IC, so its actually outside of the throttle housing. Can this supposedly give me any negative effects? that the sensor isn't actually inside the manifold.
I think I have noticed a difference in response in early mornings compared to hot afternoons, bigger differences than just the effect on the filling of the motor....
/Lars
A problem can occur when the body of the sensor is at a different temperature to the actual air, and sort of measures that. Usually at low speeds. Some sensors are less prone to this than others. My car had factory EFI with the ATS in the airflow meter. So when I fitted MS I replaced the AFM with some ally tube and fitted the ATS to that. I'm not convinced it's ideal - especially on a hot restart.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
lekman
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lekman »

I suppose then that this is a better place than the actual manifold. the manifold is made from aluminium and is likely to become much hotter than the inlet air. The IC on the other hand is from plastics and isn't attached to the rest of the motor. I would suppose that at this spot the sensor body is closer to the air temp than if it was down into the manifold aluminium.... I suppose
/Lars
Hey_Allen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Hey_Allen »

If using an open element IAT sensor, which only has a protective cage around the sensing element, would it matter where it is placed in the system?
I would think that even if mounted in an aluminum section of the intake exposed to coolant cross over plumbing heating, you should have a reasonably accurate temperature reading, as long as it is in the air flow path and not in a dead pocket of the plumbing.
Josh
-greasy fingered tinkerer
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

For what it's worth... I split the difference and installed it in the (metal) pipe going between my intercooler and the throttle body.

When I had this engine in a different car, I installed the sensor in the stock location which was in the manifold adjacent to (and on the downstream side of) the throttle body. It heat-soaked like crazy there... with the engine warm on a cool day, the temp would rise about 15 degrees (F) for every minute I was stopped. It probably didn't help that at idle, the throttle was completely closed and air from the idle valve entered the manifold in a different location so little or no air was flowing across the sensor.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.